Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:56 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

I don't understand all the kerfuffle here. Mothers make these ridiculous offers to fathers all the time ("give me custody and you won't have to pay child support"). Nothing bad ever seems to happen to them.

I just do not see how this offer hurts the father here. All I get from it is that he wants the kids, is presumably not doing it for the money, and that he thinks the ex is a terrible parent. So... pretty much standard for most divorcing parents.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:02 AM

Alpinist is on a distinguished road

I see alienation, scare and intimidation tactics at the very least. He is trying to convince himself, his children and possibly a judge of his exceptional parenting skills however it comes across as the opposite.

What he has provided you with is gold. How you react next is crucial. Take your time, and consider the best approach in responding, you have the upper hand now.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:01 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
I don't understand all the kerfuffle here. Mothers make these ridiculous offers to fathers all the time ("give me custody and you won't have to pay child support"). Nothing bad ever seems to happen to them.

I just do not see how this offer hurts the father here. All I get from it is that he wants the kids, is presumably not doing it for the money, and that he thinks the ex is a terrible parent. So... pretty much standard for most divorcing parents.

Because in those cases the dad either agrees or doesnt push too hard so it never sees the light of day. Not to mention it may not always be in writing like this. Or it doesnt involve offering to pay ten grand to give up the kids in addition to all the rest.

I would still be ticked if it was a mom. Kids need both their parents and selling the rights to them is pretty low.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:36 PM

cleanSlate is on a distinguished road

There is a bit more going on in the background but it sounds like each parent is fearful of telling the other what they want or one is simply difficult.

I don't know the mother that posted this or the father that made the offer. I don't know if the kids are better off with just one parent or both. The standards for being a parent are low. Pop Tarts for breakfast, Nutella every day for lunch, MacDonalds for every dinner and overfeeding your children is "acceptable".

He didn't offer to sell the kids but I think the offer is disingenuous as child support can't be waived and he is telling her the kids do not like her.

The kids will decide when they decide....
Old 07-05-2021, 01:00 PM

cranberry is on a distinguished road

He's high conflict and prefers to use the system instead of attempting to mediate. It was his lawyer who suggested we try mediation, I agreed (immediately made an appointment with the agreed upon mediator), and then received this ridiculous document. He wants me to go from established week on week off to approx 36 hours a month.

My lawyer told me to ignore the damn thing, with its deadline to accept today. She confirmed it is considered informal and, while not the best course of action, either one of us could attach it to any potential upcoming affidavits. She also reminded me that our current Minutes of Settlement, are just that, MOS; we don't have a court order. The MOS are dated Oct 2019. Both sides had issues with it and then we got caught in Covid. She says this needs to be addressed first before he can bring another motion.

The big issue here is heavy influencing and a parent who simply does not want the other in their children's lives. However, I am doing my best to rest easy that essentially nothing will happen this summer and to just enjoy it.