This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billm View Post
    Not getting paid from his company while you were married has no bearing on your entitlement to or amount of SS

Yup. Especially considering she would've reaped the benefits of any extra amounts earned by the company during the marriage or the increased value of the company at equalization.

Comment

Thanks----

Comment

I wonder if the moderator would consider adding a section whereby anyone who wanted to could upload the contents of their separation agreement (minus all personal information etc). It might be good to see exactly what everyone else is doing out there. The extra context could help people.

Comment

Originally posted by mememe View Post
          I hope to be the recipient of the support payments and do not want his retirment--which may be before mine---to affect what he can pay me. He has not been required to pay or do anything to date. He has been awful and caused me legal fees galore in addition to dumping everything on me to do---and I have complied. working on the financials.
          I am no expert on SS however, it should be renegotiated when he retires... if he is taking a hit on his wages because of being retired, how can he be expected to pay the same amount as he was when working full time?

To me that seems rather greedy, if you are not retired and are working, why should you get to continue to live your same life style, while he is taking a pay cut and still paying you the same amount of support?

To me, retirement would be a change in circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
            I am no expert on SS however, it should be renegotiated when he retires... if he is taking a hit on his wages because of being retired, how can he be expected to pay the same amount as he was when working full time?

To me that seems rather greedy, if you are not retired and are working, why should you get to continue to live your same life style, while he is taking a pay cut and still paying you the same amount of support?

To me, retirement would be a change in circumstances.
            And I can assure you, there are those in a higher income tax bracket, where retirement from the career really doesn't mean much in terms of income, and retirement per se would not be a change in circumstance. Other than increased time on the golf course.
            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Oh your absolutely right...not everyone takes a pay cut when they retire, but to expect that SS cannot be revisited when this happens, or her being worried about getting less SS because he is retiring, is petty in my opinion.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X