This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing the math...

I have been doing the projected monthly budget should I go ahead w/a sep agreement in the next few weeks. It's something we agreed on in principle, but man, talk about tight, no frills if by frills you mean clothing expenses and the like.

I have our boys though they are 14 and 22 and recently moved to a less expensive but nice place to create capacity for spousal support and am seeing what else I can cut and have even applied for a better paying job, but still...

Technically her support for the kids would deduct from the spousal, yada, yada. She is trying not to work as much as she has due to a heart condition and don't get me started on her monied BF. I just which she had made more money when we were married to close the gap.

Still, is it reasonable to basically break even at the end of the month or even incur month over month debt, or to change jobs for this? Would rather not go to court and make it possibly worse but has anyone shown the expenses to a judge and been able to demonstrate that the agreement in fact creates hardship for the single parent? I know, she'd have her own story...Any war stories out there?

I was in a similar position. As I was building my financial statement, i quickly realized that 1 - we were living beyond our means and 2 - I would be screwed on CS and SS due to 5 kids, over 6-figure salary and wife not working.
    I had to do some deep analysis of my financials to get my life back on track. If you want any help, take a look at Home Page and send me an email. I can show you how to optimize your financials.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X