This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPP split, common law then married

I just finalized my separation and now I'm trying to complete the CPP splitting form.

I have a question question. We were living together for about 2 years before getting married, then married for 3 years.

Is the CPP split just for the 3 years we were married, or will it be split from the start?

In Ontario you must live together 3 years before being considered common law, unless you have a child together. I don't think the time before you were actually married would count but not 100% sure.

Comment

Under Federal rules the time is 1 year of living together. Moreover, if you lived together for 2 years and then were married for 3, the total time living together would be 5 years.

The federal rule is mostly just for federal taxes, pensions and benefits, it doesn't get as much attention as the provincial rules.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X