New legislation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New legislation

Hello, I am in the process of leaving an abusive situation, with small children. There is about to be new legislation that will be coming into effect in june 2020 with more specific and detailed definitions of abuse under the divorce act. My question is , would I be wise to wait until this new language is in effect or would judges be open to considering the changes on a case by case basis before it comes into effect to make their decisions regarding the best interests of the child etc.

Originally posted by Penelope753 View Post
    Hello, I am in the process of leaving an abusive situation, with small children. There is about to be new legislation that will be coming into effect in june 2020 with more specific and detailed definitions of abuse under the divorce act. My question is , would I be wise to wait until this new language is in effect or would judges be open to considering the changes on a case by case basis before it comes into effect to make their decisions regarding the best interests of the child etc.

Are you kidding me? If your ex is abusive then you should be leaving him now. Not waiting for new legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      Are you kidding me? If your ex is abusive then you should be leaving him now. Not waiting for new legislation.
      yeah, this.

waiting is stupid.

it doesn't matter if the law enumerates "financial abuse" as a form of abuse. it's next to impossible to prove.

if your situation is bad, get. out. now.

Comment

What exactly are you hoping waiting for the new legislation will do for you? If you’re in an abusive relationship leave, especially if you have kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you leave now, you will most likely still be before the courts in June 2020 and the new law will be guiding case law. Get out now

Comment

New legislation has been postponed until March 2021 but I spoke to my lawyer and she told me most likely cases won't be done by done due to the backlog at the court and that judges have already started to use the new legislation in their rulings. They have taken training and familiarized themselves with it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X