X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Home

Hi There,
    I really need some help.
    I am going through what I would consider the worse experience of my life. I separated from my husband, we have 2 children ages 6 and 4. We were married for 7 years.
    Prior to getting married my husband owned a home for about 2 years. I moved in & a about a year later we were married.
    Since then we sold that house and bought another one that we've been living in for 6 years which we have now sold and the closing is end of January. Both our names is on the home.
    My ex husband to be has been nothing but greedy through this separation. I make more money than he does and I have personally put at least $200K in bonus and stock option money into this house over the last 6 years. We did significant landscaping, finished the basement put in a pool etc...
    From what I've read and from what I've been told the family home is divided 50/50 no matter what.
    However, he informs me that he going after me for the value of other home that was only in his name. Again, I don't really know what he means by this?? His threats are endless including trying to get custody of the kids which we are going to court for.
    Does he have a case with the family home?

Sucks to be the major breadwinner in Canada.

That said, I don't think that the first house enters into it.

Good luck.

Comment

Wouldn't matter.... matrimonial home clause applies.

Comment

if your questions is how will you divide the house that is easy.... 50/50 regardless of who spent what. The Matrimonial home value will be split 50/50 regardless of who put what into it.

If you make a whole lot more than him you could be in for spousal support. In terms of the children if you end up sharing 50/50 you would likely pay child support, in an offset method where you pay on your income and him on his, where the difference is paid to the lower income eraning parent.

It is a real eye opener for those who have not ever experienced seperation/divorce.

Apart from the home issue have you figured out who the children will be residing with and how often, and is it agreed upon already?

It is not a given that children reside with the Mom anymore, and often a huge issue for not only child support but a fair outcome.

Comment

I have already purchased a home in the same town to ensure my kids can go to the same school. We had in principal agreed on a parenting schedule but he has since declined because he found out from his lawyer that if he doesn't get me to agree to 50/50 then he'd have to pay child support and he wouldn't be able to get child support from me. It's pretty disgusting actually because I never wanted child support from him. I just want a consistent schedule for the kids and move on with my life. Just to add to the mix he has a metalling family matter that keeps sticking thier nose where it doesn't belong. So now where going to court about custody. Right now it's about a 60/40 split. Me with the 60.
          I knew how much I put into the house didn't matter, and, I didn't care. It just shocked me that he would bring up a home from 6 years ago expecting that he should get money from me for that.

Sounds though from what I've read and from what's been posting the house from 6 years ago won't have any impact.

Now, if you could just get him to agree that the kids are all that matters instead of financial gain that would be great!!

Keep in mind that both of us make a 6 figure income. Lawyers will do well on this one!!

Comment

Before you "6 figure" people start handing money to "7 figure" lawyers, please note that 40%-60%, 50%-50%, and 60%-40% is all considered 50%-50% time-wise.

Agree to dispense with CS, unless you lose your job/income and come to terms with your STBX and put the savings in lawyer fees towards your kids and your new lives.

And be very happy that he makes "6-figures" too, other-wise your income could drop a figure.

Comment

Originally posted by piggybanktoex View Post
              Before you "6 figure" people start handing money to "7 figure" lawyers, please note that 40%-60%, 50%-50%, and 60%-40% is all considered 50%-50% time-wise.

And be very happy that he makes "6-figures" too, other-wise your income could drop a figure.
              True colours?

Charmer.

Comment

True colours? ........A Cindy Lauper song from the eighties.

What else do you want to know? ; )

Comment

"Time After Time" was far better. Classic, in my view. A beautiful woman belted it out in karaoke just last night.

Comment

Why did my mum let me put butter on my soda crackers but always I didn't need butter on my oatmeal cookies? God, I love being an adult!

Comment

Originally posted by piggybanktoex View Post
                      What else do you want to know? ; )
                      How many figures for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                        Why did my mum let me put butter on my soda crackers but always I didn't need butter on my oatmeal cookies? God, I love being an adult!
                        My little brother and I totally did this butter on crackers thing too! I thought it was one of those weird things that only we did, but found out when I met my husband he did that as a child as well!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                          My little brother and I totally did this butter on crackers thing too! I thought it was one of those weird things that only we did, but found out when I met my husband he did that as a child as well!
                          here also. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                            here also. LOL
                            Me too! Anyone else ever have peanut butter and sugar sandwiches?

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
                              Me too! Anyone else ever have peanut butter and sugar sandwiches?

Ohh...hahahaha... I did, and LOVED THEM!

Tried it again in my late 20's... and it was gross!!! lol

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X