whats wrong here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point was 2 things.

1 - Catering to the movement of being viewed as not promoting violence against women is like protecting yourself against being called out for witch craft. If you fail to act (Trudeau as an example) you can get destroyed, if you get accused you can get destroyed (cosby) and if you don't comply to the lobby then you can get hurt (i.e: target)....

2 - Organizations/Corporations/Governments can controlled by effective political/lobbying action whether it is RIGHT, LOGICAL, ETHICAL, CONSISTENT OR NOT.

This is the petition by the way:
    https://www.change.org/p/target-with...and-kill-women

So that if 60,000 people signed a survey against selling games that portrayed the riding of horses even though that game portrayed the riding of sheep, camels and foxes the organization would bow down to those 60,000 people
    and say we're against games that show the riding of horses. It is totally arbitrary

Also the violent videogame debate is about catharsis - does doing something virtually let you "get out" the feeling to do it or does it "get you used" to do oing it.

p.s: Try payday 2 people, its great

Comment

Desensitization is indeed an interesting topic. I still cant get over the new J-Lo video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO4xCfGO-XU

Make no mistake. Your kids are watching this stuff on MTV.

Bandura's BoBo Doll experiment is probably one of the earliest and most significant studies illustrating the impact of desensitization. Bobo doll experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I watch "Walking Dead", in the beginning I cringed when screwdrivers were stabbed in the ears of the zombies and you could hear the skull cracking. The more shows I watched the less bothered I was by it.

I once heard about some students at school getting caught watching "redtube" (the XXX of youtube) at recess. These were 7 year olds with cell phones equipped with internet.

D7 came home the other day singing "What you gonna do with my big fat butt .. wiggle wiggle wiggle". Yep .. that song on the radio. Our jaws hit the floor and we had a chat about the appropriateness of it.

We are in the age of mass media. The internet is powerful. Too powerful. Young minds will be subjected to it.

The primary microsystem for young children are their parents. Parents have the most influence up until school. Unfortunately, once school begins, the primary microsystem is now the peers. And what do peers enjoy most together? Music, video games, movies, internet, etc. Media in general.

My personal opinion? There will always be exposure to sexual influence, violence, etc in life. It is up to us as parents to teach our children right from wrong and when they spread their wings use that knowledge to make the best possible decisions.

Should we condone violence against women in video games? No we shouldn't. But we have to focus what we can control. And that is educating our children to make the right choices. If GTA is to be singled out. I can point to 6 other video games, hundreds of movies, internet sites and tv shows that should be also. That may be quite the daunting task though.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
        Seems a slippery slope...

Is it like "Just Dance" (that's what we play).
        Do you dance to:
        ABBA
        "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)"

What are you teaching your daughter? lol.
        It is very similar to Just Dance. We play on the xBox 360 (I also have a Wii U and xBox One).

And no, I haven't danced to ABBA yet. My daughter won't allow it. She prefers Lil' Wayne (Get Low) and, previously, Justin Beiber (before he went all douchebag).

Comment

Tonight my children and I are at a fundraiser dinner. The food is delish by the way. Children are about to decorate gingerbread men with santa's elves.

Enjoy the twerks, mushrooms, and Lil Wayne. I'm pleased to hear your evenings will be of optimum sophistication.

Comment

At a dinner and posting on ODF. What sort of a dinner companion are you? SHeesh

Comment

Man attacks his pregnant wife with a McChicken sandwich!
              Man Arrested for Attacking Pregnant Wife with McChicken Sandwich

I blame McDonald's for this! (not). Seeing where this thread is going, I figure this story is just about as meaningful as the above posts. lol

Comment

https://www.change.org/p/target-with...st_signed=true

Beat the original petition...

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                  Links, anyone who has actually read the entire Bible will tell you that this site that you are quoting from is far from what is acceptable behavior! Really, it's easy to take a 'snippet' of verse, take it out of context and make wild claims that this is what the entire volume is all about. C'mon this is just another cheap shot at .......

Sensationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Where's the violence against women in GTA V?
                    There's potential for violence in the game IF the player wants the avatar to be violent, or recklessly driving.
                    I've seen nothing in the game that portrays violence against women more than men.
                    As for Cosby, that topic I'm not informed enough to comment.
                    Okay, now I've read all the comments. My kids have GTA 5 (or V). To be honest, they are usually driving cars crazily all over the virtual road. Haven't seen any "visits to prostitutes" (I'm watching them play the game). Have seen deer, dogs and the odd pedestrian run over, but they know it's not real.
                    Last edited by Epona; 12-09-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X