Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I know is that if this is a fire that can be fuelled, the Industry will be only too happy to oblige.

I can see it now: Former neighbors will be suing for access too... "My life hasn't been the same since Johnny moved down the street with his Mom/Dad. He used to throw his toys over the fence and it gave my cats something to do. I have a right to EOW."

Pretty soon everybody BUT the parents will have custody and access :-P

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary M View Post
      All I know is that if this is a fire that can be fuelled, the Industry will be only too happy to oblige.

I can see it now: Former neighbors will be suing for access too... "My life hasn't been the same since Johnny moved down the street with his Mom/Dad. He used to throw his toys over the fence and it gave my cats something to do. I have a right to EOW."

Pretty soon everybody BUT the parents will have custody and access :-P

Cheers!

Gary
      Brilliant way to put it Gary. A dose of reality as one would always expect from you on the topic. Also a great way to frame the argument. The insanity of what constitutes access and who should have access has to end somewhere.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by grandma@cangrands.com View Post
        things quickly settled into an arrangement not unlike the pre-existing the denied access. All reported friendly relations with the ex-child-in-law and the ability to see their grandchildren whenever they want, not only during assigned access times. These grandparents are now called upon to baby-sit, attend family functions such as birthday parties and sports events and can even take the grandchildren for weekends and vacations. Flexibility, communication and putting the best interests of the child ahead of hurt feelings were all cited as reasons for the diminished tension and increasingly co-operative arrangements that all had experienced since being awarded court ordered access. (Atkinsons 1999)
        Access problems follow divorce, separation, or death of an adult child as well as conflict with the adult child or child-in-law in intact families. A substantial number of grandparents are able to restore contact using a variety of mediation strategies as well as the legal system. Those grandparents who have used these resources reported more positive outcomes than those who did not. (Atkinsons1999)
        The process of divorce requires major reorganization, resulting in a variety of new, complex family networks. Diverse kinship alternatives exist following divorce and remarriage, with few rules on which relatives are to be included and excluded. As a result of the divorce experience, these altered kinship's systems vary from a very expansive system to a contracted and one-sided system, resulting in many implications for the family (Ahrons & Bowman, 1982; Johnson & Barer, 1987).
        It is important to note that the custodial status is the main factor related to contact loss in separation and divorce cases. Grandparents of the custodial parent enjoy increased involvement with grandchildren, while grandparents of the non-custodial parent are at risk of diminished or denied contact. Present data supports the literature findings that most divorced fathers become non-custodial parents and many lose contact with their children (Kruk, 1995; Matthews & Sprey, 1984; Spicer &Hampe, 1975).
        In a 1975 study, Robertson suggests that the most significant aspect of the bond between a grandparent and grandchildren is the fact that this tie is not direct, but mediated by the grandchild’s parents.
        As long as mothers continue to be awarded sole custody of the children, the maternal grandparents will enjoy a closer relationship with grandchildren while the paternal grandparents will continue to be at risk for diminished or denied access (Myers & Perrin, 1993).
        In Canada, the issue of grandparents’ rights of access to grandchildren has not been given recognition in legislation, with the exception of the provinces of Quebec, Alberta and B.C. In all other provinces, grandparents may only petition the courts for rights of access as interested third parties. In the absence of a specific statue providing grandparents with legal standing to access, there are continuing difficulties in obtaining contact with grandchildren (Kruk, 1995).
        The existence of grandparent rights statues in the United States has effectively reduced the need for litigation (Wilson & DeShane, 1982). Many grandparents agree that law reform to further rights of access to grandchildren would likely act as a deterrent to denied access of grandchildren, thereby reducing the need for adversarial procedures.
        In view of successful outcomes following court ordered access in the present study, it would seem necessary that further studies follow up on court-ordered visitations, evaluating ongoing relationships and identifying problems such as refusal to obey access orders. This would serve to facilitate legal and therapeutic professions in decisions regarding grandparent involvement in the mediation and legal process of divorcing families. (Atkinsons-1999)
        Why don't you just let them live their lives. If you stop being a crusader, perhaps things would themselves out on their own. You have serious boudarie issues.

Comment

No updates from Patty60. My event timer reminded me to check back on this thread to see if the infamous Patty60 had come back with her new magical case law for "grandparent rights".

As expected...

Comment

Tayken:

Have you searched the Best Seller's list for the book tho?

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
              Tayken:

Have you searched the Best Seller's list for the book tho?
              Just checked... The best seller is in another thread already and it isn't Patty60's book that is for sure.

It is "Fifty Shades of Grey" on the NYT list.

Comment

Oh I think that's from the other thread......

Comment

Originally posted by Patty60 View Post
                  Once this is all done later in the year, perhaps end of summer, I may post court information on this forum.
                  Well, it is now "later in the year" and approaching the "end of summer" and Patty60 has not come back to regale us with her success story before the court.

I wonder why?

Comment

My Grade 7 teacher, bless her she was a lovely old woman used to declare re: homework/assignments - "Not here...? Not done!" I'm thinking those words when it comes to the decision in P60's case.

Umm as for books- I hear "the wheat belly" continues to be a hot title.
                    Last edited by hadenough; 09-01-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                      My Grade 7 teacher, bless her she was a lovely old woman used to declare re: homework/assignments - "Not here...? Not done!" I'm thinking those words when it comes to the decision in P60's case.

Umm as for books- I hear "the wheat belly" continues to be a hot title.
                      Quite possible she is attending to the daughter in question's own mental health issues?

Doing what most overbearing/possibly borderline disordered parents do which is... "Take over their child's life and do their child's homework for them and not let them fail. Even though in the long-run they are just making the situation worse for their child. Worry about how they will be seen as a parent when their child fails in life?"

Why kids need to fail to succeed in school - The Globe and Mail

How much influence do parents really have on their children’s success in life? My own view has always been: far less than they think, and far less than the experts tell them. I’ve always thought that how your kids turn out depends a lot more on their genes and their IQ than whether you played them Baby Beethoven or sent them to all-day kindergarten.
                      Good Luck!
                      Tayken
                      Last edited by Tayken; 09-02-2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X