This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought home w/common-law-in-laws. now seperated

My ex, Bill and I, were together from July 2003 until October 2010. 7 year common-law) We lived together as a young couple (16 and 20) with his parents and got our first appartment in 2006. We decided we wanted to buy instead of renting after 3 years in the appartment. Having such a close relationship with his parents, we all decided to find a home just outside of the city and own together. We purchased a home, and all was equal. 1/4 ownership between the 4 of us. When Bill and I decided it would be best for us to end our relationship in October 2010, we as a whole family, agreed that I would just sign off, with a full and final release. No money would be owed to the house from me, I would not ask for equity, and my name would be removed from the mortgage. I moved out immediately, I signed the necessary documnents with the lawyer, and Bill told me to stop my payments for the mortgage. I waited 2 months before finally hearing from the lawyer that they all 3, were not agreeing to sign. I know that if they are going to be asking me for any money put towards the house and land (renovations) that I would be entitled to my quarter of the equity.. correct? And what else could they ask me for? Is it a possibility that they want payments back to October because I am still legally on the Mortgage? It seemed like we had a good relationship at the time. The split was mutual, and even his parents believed it for the best. But now his parents are getting involved and they have all become quite bitter. I just want to know where my safeties are... Things that I know they cannot ask me for, or maybe a few things I am entitled to ask them for?? Any knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

So, I'm gathering that the 4 of you purchased this house in 2009 as tenants-in-common each with a 25% share.
    Did you contribute to the purchase of the house, ie downpayment or land transfer taxes?
    Did you pay your share of the operating costs (including mtg & taxes) while you were living there?
    Unless there are other circumstances, one would think that they would be pleased that you were willing to remove your name from the title without any compensation. I must be missing something here...

Comment

His father paid the down payment, and i am sure he signed a clause in case anything happened down the road, the money would be returned to him and him alone. I was paying my quarter of the mortgage and taxes were included in those payments every month. Yes, we were tennants in common, each with 25% share. I heard that because I was the one leaving, or being bought out, that I would not have to pay the land-transferig tax. I am now led to believe that they may only be trying to retrieve my share of the renovation fees that were put into the house over the last year and a half.
      Last edited by spartanloverspqr; 01-27-2011, 09:45 PM. Reason: added a few more sentances

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X