Refusal to Sign RESP Grant Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusal to Sign RESP Grant Application

I have to wonder where people's heads are sometimes. Mom has refused to sign the RESP grant application for dad's solely owned RESPs. Why? I dunno... How does this make sense? ...because free money for the children's education is bad? This is a no brainer right?

So we are left with what to do. We won't continue to engage with her on this. Days have lapsed and multiple emails and we either hear nothing from her or a long list of rants about everything and anything but her signing the forms. We've even suggested she scan them to us. And of course she has not.

Dad advised her that if she chooses not to sign the forms, so be it. We'll be asking her to add dollar for dollar the amounts that were not received in grants because of her lack of cooperation to HER post secondary bill when the time comes. Even that didn't motivate her.

Do you have joint custody, or does Mom have sole custody?
    Does the child have any RESP accounts already, where any grant money is already being directed - or is Mom refusing to sign, for a brand new, 1st RESP account?

If it's the latter situation, I am in the same boat.
    I did not need Mom's signature for the basic RESP CESG grants, as we have joint custody, but I *do* need Mom's signature for the extra CESG grant and the "learning BOND" grant, as our child qualifies for that. Mom refuses to sign, and refuses to look into it, on her own end.

I'll likely have to force her hand, in court, and I'm guessing you may have to do the same, if you want child to get extra grant monies. I can't fathom a judge siding with a parent, refusing to allow free government grant money, towards child's education, on this one.

In my case, Mom tried preventing me from opening a RESP at all, by denying me all child's documents to open a RESP (ex. documents in order to get SIN, etc). Luckily, we have joint custody, so I was able to circumvent Mom's gatekeeping, in that regard.
    Last edited by dad2bandm; 11-03-2014, 12:43 PM. Reason: Addition of info.

Comment

There are RESPs already in place. At least there were. I suspect mom may have closed hers but we are not privy, nor do we care about what she has invested/doesn't have invested. Although, I don't see why this would matter as even if there are other accounts, and the grant $$ is exhausted by virtue of other contributions through whatever other plans exist, then so be it. But without her signature, the plans that we want established do not qualify for the grants because we can't even apply.

If it's the latter situation, I am in the same boat.
      I did not need Mom's signature for the basic RESP CESG grants, as we have joint custody, but I *do* need Mom's signature for the extra CESG grant and the "learning BOND" grant, as our child qualifies for that. Mom refuses to sign, and refuses to look into it, on her own end.
      So dad is considering putting her on formal notice that SHE will need to come up with these dollars down the road. This is FREE money. And this free money will accumulate interest too. Why the hell wouldn't you sign it and knowingly disadvantage yourself and/or your children down the road?

I'll likely have to force her hand, in court, and I'm guessing you may have to do the same, if you want child to get extra grant monies. I can't fathom a judge siding with a parent, refusing to allow free government grant money, towards child's education, on this one.
      No we aren't going to force her hand in court. This is a benefit to HER and the CHILDREN (when she signs the freaking forms). Why would dad incur costs and time to force her to do somethign that benefits HER? Quite honestly, if she wants to shoot herself in the foot, go right ahead. She is her own worst enemy anyhow.

In my case, Mom tried preventing me from opening a RESP at all, by denying me all child's documents to open a RESP (ex. documents in order to get SIN, etc). Luckily, we have joint custody, so I was able to circumvent Mom's gatekeeping, in that regard.
      Mom was only asked to sign the forms. We have all her personal information (sin, dob, etc.) anyhow. And we have it for all the kids too. She is just an emotional wreck lately and very uncooperative. Its exhausting to say the least. But we aren't holding her hand this time and trying to force her to create less problems for herself down the road. Quite honestly, we tried. If she wants to be an ass, then she can explain that to a judge when she balks at why her proportional share of post secondary costs are higher than dad's and the child's.

Comment

If he solely owns it, why does she sign? Partner has his own resp that ex has never signed on or knows about. He still had grant money deposited for kid in it. The only time both sign forms is for the joint one.

Thats all Ive got. And of course sympathy since the ex in your case seems like a total whackjob.

Comment

......The signature of the parent who receives the taxable benefits (CCTB, etc) is required on the Annex B forms, if the RESP is going to receive grants at the lower income level. This requirement would also apply if a grandparent were to purchase an RESP for their grandchild, etc.... It is a consent for the recipients income to be used in the annual calculation of the grant money, as opposed to the purchasers income, that if is higher than the recipient of the tax benefits, would yield lower annual education grants for the RESP........

I was able to get my sons mother to sign the RESP forms, for the additional top up grant, based on her income, as opposed to mine.

I withheld section 7 payments until she would sign the paper work (RESP information consent, plus something else that I needed her to sign for my benefit). Took a few months.

Perhaps not super ethical, but it was a lot cheaper than trying to use lawyers to force her signature.

Financial withholding is my only leverage. And may I add that leverage is only needed to be used when dealing with the crazy, and or difficult.

Last edited by movingON1975; 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM. Reason: Monday lunchtime grammar problems

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            If he solely owns it, why does she sign? Partner has his own resp that ex has never signed on or knows about...
            I would imagine, it's for the additional CESG grant monies and/or Canada Learning Bond. You require the signature of the parent, who receives certain government benefits, in that case.

If it's only the basic 20% CESG grant child is entitled to, then you would not need the other parents signature.

Comment

If he solely owns it, why does she sign?
              Partner has his own resp that ex has never signed on or knows about. He still had grant money deposited for kid in it. The only time both sign forms is for the joint one.

You are incorrect.

The signature of the person in reciept of the CCTB must sign to be eligible for the additional grants.

Thats all Ive got. And of course sympathy since the ex in your case seems like a total whackjob.
              I'd agree. If she is reading this, perhaps she will take note.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X