This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do

My mother informed me that my 13 yrl son (in 2 months) told her he was going to start walking home on a 50/50 schedul as is his wish and his sisters since seperation almost 2 years ago. My counselor is wondering if I should just stay out of it because this is an issue between my children and thier mother. I of course informed him that he is always welcome home. Im wondering if I should tell him to hold off for a few weeks necause of several court dates for Motion for assessement and passibly trial. Or just stay out of it.

Only you know the family dynamic here. Not us. So that is a very difficult question to answer.

That said, I think you said the right thing to him by letting him know that your door is always open.

Also, even though his decision may be about time with his mom, it most certainly affects you so staying right out of it isn't really an option.

Comment

I would do my best to spin the situation into and a positive. Perhaps speak with your son (and daughter) about how proud you are of them as they mature and start to assert themselves in their decision making. If it were me, I'd still express my concerns and like the previous comment, re-assure them that I love them regardless.

Comment

Absolutly.

I,ve already had a chat with my children and told them how proud and how comforting it is for a parent to see their child make decisions based on whay they want or feel (as long as its resonable) and not based on what Mommy or Daddy wants.

Also explained to them that they may feel pressured to go against their will and wishes. But in the end if both parents love you hey will respect your wishes.

I made it clear to my son that is he feels its to much pressure (you have to know their mothers motives to understand how she would actualy make them feel bad for making such a decisions ) he know he,s always welcome home when ever he,s ready.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X