Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure to agree

Hello
    Hoping for any advice.have 5 year old child lives with me 5 nights per week. Her father visits her some weeknights at my place as well. He lives an hour away so this is how it has been. . Though seemingly when issue of cs came up he began pushing for 5050.
    Living apart from her father over 2 years now. We have been working on and off w mediator for almost that amount of time.
    He does not pay table amount currently but does pay close to that as we had informal interim agreement through mediator.
    Mediator is now pushing me to agree to schedule that I believe is in child's best interest but where ex will not pay child support this year. She is going on vacation in a few days and is pressuring me for my answer. She says if I ask for cs she thinks this will cause ex to escalate and take it to court which he has at timed threatenrd to do.
    I have a lawyer I consult but she has not yet responded. Thank you

I would not let the mediator pressure you. Your ex needs to pay CS.

it is well within your exs right to take it to court to try and go for 50/50. Not saying he will get it when he lives an hour away.

Comment

Originally posted by parenting View Post
      Hello
      Hoping for any advice.have 5 year old child lives with me 5 nights per week. Her father visits her some weeknights at my place as well. He lives an hour away so this is how it has been. . Though seemingly when issue of cs came up he began pushing for 5050.
      Living apart from her father over 2 years now. We have been working on and off w mediator for almost that amount of time.
      He does not pay table amount currently but does pay close to that as we had informal interim agreement through mediator.
      Mediator is now pushing me to agree to schedule that I believe is in child's best interest but where ex will not pay child support this year. She is going on vacation in a few days and is pressuring me for my answer. She says if I ask for cs she thinks this will cause ex to escalate and take it to court which he has at timed threatenrd to do.
      I have a lawyer I consult but she has not yet responded. Thank you
      1. don't let the mediator push you into this.

2. what's the schedule you've reached? Why do you think it's in your child's best interest v. 50/50...is 50/50 what the other parent really wants? if it is,why would dad agree to any less?

3. after this year- will dad pay CS? how much is the CS you would be giving up? do you really need it? I'm thinking if you don't it might be worth it to get the schedule that is the best thing for your child.

If my ex was to agree to what you have- I'd agree to give up CS in a heartbeat. But it's really her right- so it's not mine to give up. Plus I'd be okay giving it up or agreeing to less- I really think it depends on how much you need it tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by parenting View Post
        She says if I ask for cs she thinks this will cause ex to escalate and take it to court which he has at timed threatenrd to do.
        If you want to be cynical, agree to the no CS clause, and then once the agreement is signed go to court and get the CS ordered anyway. It will of course cause your parenting relationship to completely fall apart, but you'll have money

Agree to 50-50, agree to some CS. That is the fair agreement and it is what you would end up with in court.

Comment

The question now becomes..Will your ex agree to less than 50.50 with no child support for this year ?

Comment

This sounds like a crappy mediator.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X