This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelf Life of foods and other things

This was sent to me today and I really liked the website.

The Most Useful Email I Have Ever Sent Out!

How long can that bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad? I'm thinking 5 or 10 years but if you want an expert opinion,
    go to the web site below.

This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them fresh longer as well as when to get rid of them.
    If you have a question click on the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff appears.
    WHAT A GREAT SITE!

A useful site...thanks.

Comment

Gotta love that 5 years for an open bottle of hot sauce. :P

As for everything else, I should have been dead years ago.

Comment

What the website? I got it from my girlfriend.

Comment

LOL, what are you say? or implying?
          She got it from her mom.

Comment

Hey that site doesn't tell me if I can eat my pickled herring or not. I've had that jar in the fridge for months.

Comment

Originally posted by sjandme View Post
              Hey that site doesn't tell me if I can eat my pickled herring or not. I've had that jar in the fridge for months.
              Well we don't know when your herring was packaged.

But pickling is a process to preserve things that was created before refridgeration, and putting it in the fridge should make this last longer than pickling alone.

One of the pertinent questions is - is it still sealed from the initial packaging, or was it opened? I move most things to the fridge when the seal is broken, peanut butter being the exception. But my pickles and coffee and pasta sause from a jar get moved to the fridge once they are opened.

Comment

I realize that the expiry date on the jar is only relevant if the vacuum seal is unbroken, etc., etc.

I really did have a jar of herring in my fridge yesterday. I decided to get rid of it - based on a quick Google search on pickled herring and my own assessment - looked suspiciously yellow.

According to that site I should definitely get rid of my sauerkraut too. But my nose says no. I'm going to eat it all up instead.

The kids won't touch these types of food of course.

Comment

This is a very good site. I've book marked it.

Comment

No offense SJandme, I am not a pickeled herring or saurkraut fan either. When my father was born on the farm, they didn't have a refridgerator, so he was fond of sauerkraut, and all kinds of pickles. I do love dill pickles, pickled beets etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sjandme View Post

According to that site I should definitely get rid of my sauerkraut too. But my nose says no. I'm going to eat it all up instead.
                      Good advice. I had thought about this when I first read this thread. If your nose says it smells fine, it should be ok. I keep everything in the fridge after it's been opened. Well, except for dry foods like cereal, grains, etc. I try to buy food in smaller quantities now that I'm living alone. Buying food that sits around for a long time tastes stale after awhile and could make you ill.
                      Last edited by caranna; 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I saw the picture of the cherry tomato, but didn't see it mentioned. I froze a bunch of extras from my garden last summer. They work perfectly as ice cubes in my Bloody Mary in the mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                          I am a gardener too, love it to bits and find it very therapeutic. I have been known to spend hours out there digging, moving plants around, watering and just admiring..I know I have to get a real hobby
                          Gardening is a real hobby! It's just hard to do in winter. I love spring when everything comes back again!

Comment

I'm a huge gardener and do a lot of canning/freezing, but not this year. We're in the process of moving and haven't found a new house yet.

Grandkids will really miss it. GD7 loves to go out there and graze.

I don't really drink lol, but I saw the bloody mary ice cube somewhere.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X