Mediation & Domestic Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediation & Domestic Violence

I am a true believer in mediate instead of litigate but I'm not if this is the route to go in domestic violence cases. And I'm talking proven violence not false allegations. I believe it can have a particularly negative impact on women with abusive partners. For these women, disagreeing with the wishes of their partner is not an option -- it is too dangerous and the ability to disagree has been trained out of them. This is well documented with respect to mediation. There have been too many stories about women who signed "agreements" through mediation because they were afraid not to, about women whose abusive partners appeared cooperative and reasonable during the mediation session but who, outside mediation, threatened the women with dire consequences if they did not agree to what they wanted, about women who "traded off" child support or a fair division of property in exchange for a promise from their ex that he would not pursue custody of the children and so on and so on.

I'm looking forward to Sean views on this, as well as anybody that wants to add a comment.

I'm all for mediation,

Even in domestic violence situations the person's lawyer can sit in on the mediation process to protect the individual's rights and to advise when necessary.

Comment

Family Violence and Mediation

As a family mediator, I see a wide variety of men and women with different backgrounds and different circumstances surrounding the end of the marriage come to the table and attempt to work out their differences. Mediators are trained to attend to each mediation session by asking questions of both parties and the responses of each party help the mediator create a hypothesis of what the dynamics in the dispute might be as well as clarifying the prospect that any power imbalance exists.

So, we don't know if family violence is an issue unless there are cues from either of the parties which give us reason to believe that it is having an impact on the mediation process.

That being said, do I think that criminal code family violence cases can be mediated? Yes - but it takes shuttle mediation or caucusing - where neither party is in the same room and the mediator undertakes the very difficult task of shuttling from room to room, presenting ideas, reframing responses and helping both parties come to a resolution. I have never done shuttle mediation but I know some mediators who have and some who won't do it as a matter of principle.

One form of mediation that I could see being quite effective in family violence cases is that of Mediation/Arbitration - both parties enter into an agreement with the mediator (usually a mediator with a judicial background) which states that the mediation will proceed using normal means but if an impasse occurs, both parties would be compelled to use that same mediator as an arbitrator in their dispute. The prospect of the mediator possibly making a binding decision on the parties can act as an incentive to "good behavior" on the part of both sides in the dispute. The arbitration is semi-judicial and is run kind of like a "mini-trial" - it's lawyer assisted however, the mediator can use his/her notes and observations of the parties during the mediation to assist in making a binding decision and that is certainly one way to correct a power imbalance that might occur.

There have been too many stories about women who signed "agreements" through mediation because they were afraid not to, about women whose abusive partners appeared cooperative and reasonable during the mediation session but who, outside mediation, threatened the women with dire consequences if they did not agree to what they wanted, about women who "traded off" child support or a fair division of property in exchange for a promise from their ex that he would not pursue custody of the children and so on and so on.
      To clarify the issue of signing anything - mediation is a "without prejudice" process and the only thing that either party signs is an agreement to mediate at the start of the mediation process. The agreement is a contract between the mediator and the parties which explains how the mediation process will work, clarifies who is paying the fee and how it will be paid, and mostly to protect the mediator from being compelled to testify in a court proceeding as to what occurred during the mediation process. When the mediation is complete, the mediator drafts a "Mediation Report" which is his/her understanding of agreements that were reached. Both parties take the mediation report to their lawyers and legal counsel drafts, for example, a separation agreement based on the mediation report. It should also be noted that when either party is signing a legal document that is the result of the mediation process - they are doing this under the auspices of their lawyer and that the lawyer is obliged to advice their client whether it would be wise or unwise to sign the agreement.

Mediation in itself is simply one dispute resolution method and people often bring their own agendas to the table. There are a wide variety of power imbalances - from a controlling personality to a man or woman who is only participating in mediation "to say that they went" - in other words, they are participating, knowing full well that the mediation will be unsuccessful because they know they will eventually litigate and is concerned that a refusal to mediate would impact their credibility in the eyes of a judge.
      Last edited by Divorcemanagement; 04-23-2006, 07:10 AM.

Comment

the problem with proving abuse is one needs to have witnesses - guess what - it usually happens in private and after a few years there are no witnesses to be found. To expect someone to be in the same room as the abuser is so wrong on many levels and one of the reasons that most don't leave the marriage until there is no choice - trust me on this one

Comment

I think that the issue with mediation and when there is violence in the home is that the abused partner is usually in a weaker position. They are bargaining from a totally unbalanced situation. The inequality and risk of coercion is a real impediment to reaching a fair solution for both parties.

Comment

This thread is interesting to me....my ex has been found guilty and is on probation for break and enter with intent and assault on me....my lawyer told me it doesn't really matter what the reason for the separation when it comes to support for myself or the children. So when I received my divorce papers from him their was know mention of abuse. I am contesting on the grounds of child support and support for myself...should I bring up the abuse?

He broke down the door to my home and dragged me out of bed into his car and the kids called 911.
            Many years of abuse...but this was the only time police where called.
            The police had to shoot out his tires to make him stop.

Comment

Originally posted by 2hopefull
              the problem with proving abuse is one needs to have witnesses - guess what - it usually happens in private and after a few years there are no witnesses to be found. To expect someone to be in the same room as the abuser is so wrong on many levels and one of the reasons that most don't leave the marriage until there is no choice - trust me on this one
              I have witnessed 'shuttle mediation' take place ... and be successful.

The mediator was sympathetic to the alleged victim, but her role was to ensure there was a fair agreement at the end. She didn't take sides, nor was the accusor ever expected to communicate with, or be in the same room with her ex-partner.

I have no doubt it is a difficult process for the mediator, but in this situation it was handled very well, and there was no reason for the 'victim' to frightened or feel intimidated.

In situations of true violence, it would certainly be unfair to the abused to have to be in the same room as their attacker - but shuttle mediation, particularly combined with arbitration is a terrifc alternative.

**Please note, I am not implying that domestic violence should not be taken serioulsy, but in this case, there was no abuse, only false allegations , hence my wording above.

Comment

I'm a bit confused at the last post saying it was not abused. To prove abuse is not that easy, especially mental - as Grace mentioned one is trained not to stand up for themselves. Getting self-respect, self-worth, courage to leave - then the whole divorce process while trying to protect one's child is an uphill battle - one doesn't need to face that person and revisit the abuse and abuser again and again. It took months to stop apologizing for every little thing to everyone - I even would apologize if someone else would do something.

Comment

Originally posted by Denisem
                  This thread is interesting to me....my ex has been found guilty and is on probation for break and enter with intent and assault on me....my lawyer told me it doesn't really matter what the reason for the separation when it comes to support for myself or the children. So when I received my divorce papers from him their was know mention of abuse. I am contesting on the grounds of child support and support for myself...should I bring up the abuse?

He broke down the door to my home and dragged me out of bed into his car and the kids called 911.
                  Many years of abuse...but this was the only time police where called.
                  The police had to shoot out his tires to make him stop.
                  OMG, are you OK. I hope charges were laid. How not only horrible for you, but for the children to witness this.

In Ontario divorce is "no fault" so his abuse would only come into play when it comes to custody & access. I don't think it makes a difference in support payments.

Men who abuse are usually very controlling, so brace yourself for a legal battle. They normally don't like to "give in" on anything.

I will say a prayer for you and your family tonight.
                  God bless you.

Comment

Denisem I'm so very sorry to hear what you had to go through, and in front of your children, no less.

Despite that, for the divorce itself, I'd still recommend going on the ground of one year of separation, just because it's cheaper and simpler. I think that the domestic violence is very relevant for the other legal issues.

If there's been a criminal conviction, it should be possible to make a successful claim in tort law for damages for the assault.

I think it's possible although not really recommended to use counsel-assisted mediation in cases where there has been domestic violence. Between the mediator and your lawyer, that should balance out things and protect you.

The real question is whether mediation is worthwhile in such situations. Mediation anticipates two people trying to work together. As Grace says, that's not really part of the personality of most people who abuse. So, even though an abused person would be protected by having a lawyer around, it may well just be a waste of time if there's no genuine intent on the part of the other side to mediate in good faith.
                    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

In cases where family violence is a factor, it's next to impossible to address the power imbalance in mediation because of the history between the parties. I understand that many people believe that there is a difference between the word "abuse" and the words "family violence" and there has long been concern expressed by many that "abuse" is open to interpretation, or that someone can claim they were abused to avoid the mediation process entirely.

Sometimes I wish that people could be a fly on the wall in a mediation session - you would see that power imbalances exist between both parties on different issues - they exist in every single divorce scenario.

- Dad is afraid he will lose the kids
                      - Mom is afraid she will lose the kids
                      - Dad is afraid mom will use dad's fear of losing the kids to her advantage and she will bargain on increased spousal or assets by using dad's fear to obtain her goal.
                      - Mom is afraid that dad will use his economic clout to wear mom down.
                      - Mom is afraid of becoming impoverished as a result of the divorce.
                      - Dad is afraid of becoming a weekend dad whose role is simply to pay support.

If these are some of the power imbalances that exist in cases where there is no family violence and these imbalances are a huge challenge to overcome, imagine how hard it might be to overcome the power imbalance when there is a family violence situation?

Family violence also challenges our belief system to it's very core and forces us to contemplate things differently - often we don't care to contemplate the following:

- If someone is an abuser, can they recover from that pattern of behavior?
                      - If someone is an abuser and they are really working hard to make amends and rebuild their lives, do they have a right to resume a normal parenting role?
                      - Is a victim of family violence prepared to work in partnership with an abuser who has recovered?

These are very difficult questions. Mediating a settlement where there is no family violence is always a crap shoot - in cases of family violence is it "once an abuser, always an abuser"?

If someone does not wish to participate in family mediation, that is their right. It needs to be a voluntary process because there has to be some degree of good will between the parties if mediation is going to be successful. The concern that primarily women will hide behind the word abuse to avoid mediation is very real, but it should also be noted that there are other dispute resolution mechanism which can be offered that are not mediation and are not litigation.

Jeff would probably agree that in many cases, when mediation is refused or turned down - the parties will often participate in a four-way meeting before going to court and you might be surprised to learn that a four-way meeting can still yield a result that keeps both parties from going to court.

I don't believe that litigation is good for anyone - even a victim of family violence. It is a miserable, miserable experience. So what is the answer?

Personally, I believe that the parent who has committed the acts of family violence needs to step up to the plate and show that he/she has embarked on a very serious and intensive recovery process. And I am not talking about simply participating in an anger management program either... that person needs to show he/she has done the following:

- Attends counselling on a regular basis
                      - Attends family violence prevention programs and services
                      - Attends divorce education
                      - Attends parent education
                      - Attends programs/services that address his/her at-risk behaviors.

If that person can show that he/she has done these things and can articulate a clear vision of why their behaviors were wrong, recognition of how it impacts their former spouse and children and specifically, how their behaviors have improved - then maybe, maybe they can be given another shot.

Comment

Thanks for all the great post's....it helps!

My ex was charged,spent some time in jail and is now on probation for his actions. My kids are teenagers and so I do not have to worry about visitation, they go if they want to.

Comment

Jeff or anyone......

What is "claim in tort law for damages for the assault."

Comment

Assault and battery is a longstanding tort for which damages can be sought against the perpetrator. Note that while criminal remedies seek to address the perpetrator's conduct, civil remedies under tort seek to financially compensate the victim for damages suffered

Comment

I can't imagine how mediation could work well in a domestic violence situation, save perhaps if the victim had had enough time and counselling (either formal, through friends and family, or combined) to have healed emotionally. Ingrained fears and roles are VERY difficult to overcome, in my experience, and even if a person had managed a significant amount of healing and progress, I would think being back in the presence of the abuser would be very conflicting.

Denisem, my heartfelt sympathies for you and your kids. That's an awful thing for all of you to have had to deal with.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X