This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law Marriage ended

I have a few questions. I lived in BC, and just recently my Common Law Wife of 2 and half years decided it was over. She basicely told me she was no longer in love with me. Not due to be a bad guy, or for anything more then the fact she does not feel the same way she did. I was heart broken I still love her. However if she does not love me what can you do.

In our lives together I paid for pretty much every thing I also did 90% of all the cooking and most of the clean as well.

When we purchased our apartment we decided to put it in my name because I would be paying most of the mortgage and also putting the down payment for the purchase as well. When we moved in she agreed she would pay the strat fee's and Hydro, cable and Phone. She would also give me $100 a month to cover some of the mortgage since I was paying the Most of the MOrtgage and all the food expences. However she only paid the strat and utilies and nothing else, she never gave me any money for the mortgage. So The mortgage and food I paid. Recently she stop working so for the last 3 month I have also been paying Phone, Power, and cable. she only kept pay the strat fee and nothing else.

The amount she was paying out for these items was only 239 a month, an was paying almost $1000 for each month.

I have read stuff on the site saying if its in my name then its my home. However I worry about Spoual support. Does she have right to it? SHe baicly been liveing off me for that last few years paying very little or nothing.

Here is a useful site:

http://www.bcfamilylawresource.com/09/0900body.htm

She can claim spousal (she has a year to do so). How much and for how long depends. Has she made an movement towards SS? Or, are you just trying to be prepared. If she had split a few months earlier... none of this would be an issue.

The fact she has stopped working rasies a red flag. So her plan is to a) stop working and b) break up with you. What is she going to do?

Comment

Hi Decent

No she has not got for SS as of yet. However she want to sell the Aparment so she can get a a cash grab. When I asked her not to take my home (its all I got) She said could for SS, however I can also counter with Enrichment of life. I enrich her life not the other way around. As I said I cooked, I clean I even walk her damn dog because she refused to half the time.

My problem is if we sell this place its not a buyer market its a seller market. We had to redo our mortrage in May due to raiseing raid so its set the mortgage back to the 5 year mark. So there going to be Peninstality.

I have put in over 23,000 into ur home, she put in 4500 that it.

I currently have raid that if my name is on the title she does not have a leg to stand on, however she could turn around and go for SS. I have already told her you have broken my heart but now you want to toss me out on my ear for what? I was good to her. I never called her name, was never abusive. However it just say she really never loved me in the first place. That kills. If she want to leave fine but don't destory me. If I was an asshole fine, but I was not. What scares me is from what i hear most court side with woman rathre then men, when if anything i am getting screwed not her.

The other problem is she has moved home, were her room has stay virtual unchanged for 2 years. I on the other hand have only this place.

In all honestly she left on the 17th of aug. She kept me hang on for almost a whole month and half, wondering if she would come back. I wanted her to. I didn't want it to be over. She didn't final it until just recently.

I guess I shoudl go talk to a laywer and see my rights. I will buy her out but I think she hope for lot more then what i would offer. ye again she will put me deep into dept.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X