This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad does it look on stbxw?

We have been separated since August 2011 , 2 kids , Separation Agreement still in progress with pretty much 1 outstanding issue wich is SS . I have truthfully and honestly provided every document and information that was asked of me by both lawyers ,however my stbxw is hiding her income from rental property which she owns and collects rent every month , I also belive that she purposly stays underemployed to be able to milk our social assistance system and myself trying to make me pay SS . Last month as usually I paid CS+medical / cosmetic expense for her daughter. 1 week prior my payment my stbxw terminated treatment for her daughter without notifying me but still took the money from me for something that has been cancelled . Say ,if this whole SS issue gets to court and both matters are brought up ,how relevant would they be in this matter (if at all ) ?

Do you have proof she owns the rental property? Did you complete and retain a copy of a property/land title search?

Comment

It all could be relevant, but you need proof and more proof. Otherwise it becomes he said/she said.
      As for medical expense, did you have all that worked in into your separation agreement? If so, then you could ask for her to return the unused amount, or if you think she is not going to give it for whatever reason, you could send her an e-mail notifying her that the $s that you provided her for the medical expense that did not take place, be credited/applied to other future expenses. But remember, any requests or communications should be done in writing so that you have a record what you said/proposed, and what her response is. Good luck.

Comment

I will answer to both replies , she does own property overseas , during our marriage she had been collecting rent from it and during 4way meeting she admitted that she owns it but it is not rented at the moment (which is a lie) . We are asking her to provide proof that it is not rented at the moment , but it is taking forever for her to produce evidence .
        The medical expense was included together with CS until the treatment was completed , I asked her via text several times to give me the money back but she just ignored me . I have been notifiying my lawyer about all those events via email and on the phone conversations , so everything has been recorded .
        So , her credibility could be at stake if this matter gets to court then? If so would it or could it be in my advantage ?
        Thank you

Comment

Ask for 1/2 the value of the property .

Comment

How bad does it look if ...

a person owns property and lives in subsidized housing ? What are the consequences for doing so ?

It is just mind blowing what some people would do to avoid working , it makes me sick.

Any thoughts ?

Comment

Originally posted by 6foot5 View Post
              How bad does it look if ...

a person owns property and lives in subsidized housing ? What are the consequences for doing so ?

It is just mind blowing what some people would do to avoid working , it makes me sick.

Any thoughts ?
              I am thinking that she probably didnt report that she owned the property. If she has income that she is not reporting then it would effect how much money she has to pay for the housing. She could get into big trouble for that, even be kicked out of the housing.

If she hasnt reported it, are you going to contact the proper authorities? Its my hard earned tax money that supports people that defraud the social services.

Comment

At the moment I have to get in touch with my lawyer and see what he says , my ex's credibility is slowly but surely vanishing , her greed and lies eventually will bite her on the a.. ,but I dont think she knows that yet though

Comment

Actually if she is on assistance AND you are paying CS...any income she receives from you is required to be reported, and to my knowledge is deducted dollar for dollar from her support check. Depending on how much you are paying, she may very well be ineligible for welfare.

Maybe "anonymously" report the fact she is receiving CS for the kids while on welfare?

Comment

I don't think that CS reduces welfare... however SS most definitely does. Getting SS from you will not change her montly income by a nickle because her welfare will be reduced by exactly how much SS she collects. Also, in most cases vice versa. Every dollar she collects is a dollar you don't pay in SS.

Somewhat annoyingly, welfare offices often encourage separated people to pursue ex partners for spousal support even when there isn't any hope of obtaining it in the faint hopes of reducing the burden on the welfare system.

Comment

CS does reduce welfare, as does SS. Any income is deducted dollar by dollar unless it is deemed a gift.

Comment

^^^THAT

I have first hand knowledge of that fact it does. Hence why assistance usually pushes rather aggressively for people to "go after" their ex's for CS/SS. If they are successful, welfare doesn't need to be involved anymore.

Comment

She is not on welfare , but because she purposly stays underemployed (she has college degree) works part time , and therefore she qualifies for subzidized housing . Now, she makes some income + CS + rent money which all adds up to as if she was full time employed ,and if she gets SS from me she will never go to full time job just because she wont have any reason to ,and I'll be stuck with SS for long time . The other thing which I find really fricking unfair is the talk " SS will help her get back on her feet" that is bunch of horse crap in this case . I am the one stuck with all debt , I can barely pay my own bills and yet she is the one that "needs to get back on her feet" ? She never ever during marriage showed any interest in working full time so what would make her do it now? Especially if she manages to leech SS from me . I am fighting this one with everything I can find on her .

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X