This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• divorce document

A few months ago, my ex told me our divorce had gone through and he has already re-married. However I have yet to receive any notification of this.

He was the one who filed for uncontested divorce, and I did receive notice of that.

Am I supposed to receive something in the mail to tell me it's all done? Or is it up to me to contact someone?

baileybug,

I suspect the divorced is finalized but you should of received some confirmation of same. It would be illegal for your former spouse to remarry in the interim. You could check with the court house Registrar where the divorce was processed ie: A simple call to the Registrar would suffice. You ex should of sent you copies of final documents at the very least.

lv

Comment

Hi baileybug,

In any kind of divorce, whether contested or uncontested, each party receives a copy of the divorce order in the mail. When the applicant submits his/her affidavit for divorce and ancillary materials, included with that are two stamped addressed envelopes, which are to be used by the court to mail out the divorce orders to the parties. The envelope for you would have had to have shown your address or your lawyer's address (in the case of using a lawyer's address, your lawyer must have been on record as your counsel for the uncontested divorce). The court will not accept envelopes that show any other addresses. Perhaps it got lost in the mail, or perhaps there is a huge backlog at the court house.

But obviously you didn't receive your order, so I agree with LV.. a phone call to the court should do it. Once you have confirmation, you may want to attend at the court house to get a copy of the order and to obtain a certificate of divorce (which will cost you $19).

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X