Can I serve my ex when they have a lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I serve my ex when they have a lawyer

I filed my Form 10 reply, and served my ex.

She has a lawyer, but I served the document to her.

Is that valid?

Perfectly legit yes. Some lawyers will not accept service. I am assuming you used a R3 letter of some sort or had a process server handle it?

Comment

What exactly is an R3 letter? I've seen it posted several times....

Comment

Return Receipt Requested/Required

Basically, they have to sign for it so delivery can be proven.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

I handed it to her (we generally get along fine), and told her to give it to her lawyer. I did not get a receipt from her. I filed my affidavit of service with the court (along with my Reply form 10).

Today (about a month later), she text me and said her lawyer said I am in contempt of court for not serving her lawyer and that self representing was not working for me. She said she did not give it to her lawyer or tell her about it (no wonder I didn't get a reply). Reality check - I can serve her, I did it properly, and given that I don't even have to do a form 10 response, being in 'contempt of court' is nonsense - seems like having a lawyer is not working for her
          Last edited by billm; 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

So given that my ex did not reply with a form 10A to my reply form 10 within 10 days (because her lawyer was unaware of my form 10 that I served to my ex), what are the ramifications for her?

Is a 10A reply important?

Can they file one now even though we have a case conference next week and it is past the 10 day timeline?

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
              Perfectly legit yes. Some lawyers will not accept service. I am assuming you used a R3 letter of some sort or had a process server handle it?
              well
              from what I know if other party has a lawyer you have to serve lawyer unless special service required (fro example for contempt motion)

Comment

Hope this helps:

TIPS ON SERVING DOCUMENTS

http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/f...t-EN-Mar10.pdf

RULE 6: SERVICE OF DOCUMENTS

METHODS OF SERVICE

6. (1) Service of a document under these rules may be carried out by regular service or by special service in accordance with this rule, unless an Act, rule or order provides otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (1).

AGE RESTRICTION

(1.1) No person shall serve a document under these rules unless he or she is at least 18 years of age. O. Reg. 6/10, s. 1.

REGULAR SERVICE

(2) Regular service of a document on a person is carried out by,

(a) mailing a copy to the person’s lawyer or, if none, to the person;

(b) sending a copy by courier to the person’s lawyer or, if none, to the person;

(c) depositing a copy at a document exchange to which the person’s lawyer belongs;

(d) faxing a copy to the person’s lawyer or, if none, to the person; or

(e) carrying out special service. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (2).

SPECIAL SERVICE

(3) Special service of a document on a person is carried out by,

(a) leaving a copy,

(i) with the person to be served,

(ii) if the person is or appears to be mentally incapable in respect of an issue in the case, with the person and with the guardian of the person’s property or, if none, with the Public Guardian and Trustee,

(iii) if the person is a child, with the child and with the child’s lawyer, if any,

(iv) if the person is a corporation, with an officer, director or agent of the corporation, or with a person at any place of business of the corporation who appears to be managing the place, or

(v) if the person is a children’s aid society, with an officer, director or employee of the society;

(b) leaving a copy with the person’s lawyer of record in the case, or with a lawyer who accepts service in writing on a copy of the document;

(c) mailing a copy to the person, together with an acknowledgment of service in the form of a prepaid return postcard (Form 6), all in an envelope that is addressed to the person and has the sender’s return address (but service under this clause is not valid unless the return postcard, signed by the person, is filed in the continuing record); or

(d) leaving a copy at the person’s place of residence, in an envelope addressed to the person, with anyone who appears to be an adult person resident at the same address and, on the same day or on the next, mailing another copy to the person at that address. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (3).

SPECIAL SERVICE — DOCUMENTS THAT COULD LEAD TO IMPRISONMENT

(4) Special service of the following documents shall be carried out only by a method set out in subclause (3) (a), unless the court orders otherwise:

1. A notice of contempt motion.

2. A summons to witness.

3. A notice of motion or notice of default hearing in which the person to be served faces a possibility of imprisonment. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (4).

SPECIAL SERVICE — RESTRICTION ON WHO MAY SERVE

(4.1) Subject to subrule (4.2), special service of the following documents shall be carried out by a person other than the party required to serve the document:

1. An application (Form 8, 8A, 8B, 8B.1, 8B.2, 8C, 8D, 8D.1, 34L or 34N).

2. A motion to change (Form 15) and change information form (Form 15A) or affidavit permitted under subrule 15 (22), with required attachments.

3. A document listed in subrule (4). O. Reg. 6/10, s. 1.

EXCEPTIONS

(4.2) Subrule (4.1) does not apply if,

(a) the party required to serve the document or the person being served is a person referred to in clause 8 (6) (c) (officials, agencies, etc.); or

(b) the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 6/10, s. 1.

REGULAR SERVICE AT ADDRESS ON LATEST DOCUMENT

(5) Regular service may be carried out at the address for service shown on the latest document filed by the person to be served. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (5).

NOTICE OF ADDRESS CHANGE

(6) A party whose address for service changes shall immediately serve notice of the change on the other parties and file it. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (6).

SERVICE OUTSIDE BUSINESS HOURS

(7) If a document is served by any method after 4 p.m. on a day when court offices are open or at any time on a day when they are not open, service is effective on the next day when they are open. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (7).

HOURS OF FAX SERVICE

(8) Service of a document by fax may be carried out only before 4 p.m. on a day when court offices are open, unless the parties consent or the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (8).

EFFECTIVE DATE, SERVICE BY MAIL

(9) Service of a document by mail is effective on the fifth day after it was mailed. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (9).

EFFECTIVE DATE, SERVICE BY COURIER

(10) Service of a document by courier is effective on the day after the courier picks it up. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (10).

EFFECTIVE DATE, SERVICE BY DOCUMENT EXCHANGE

(11) Service by deposit at a document exchange is effective only if the copy deposited and an additional copy of the document are date-stamped by the document exchange in the presence of the person depositing the copy, and then service is effective on the day after the date on the stamp. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (11).

INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED WITH DOCUMENT SERVED BY FAX

(12) A document that is served by fax shall show, on its first page,

(a) the sender’s name, address, telephone number and fax number;

(b) the name of the person or lawyer to be served;

(c) the date and time of the fax;

(d) the total number of pages faxed; and

(e) the name and telephone number of a person to contact in case of transmission difficulties. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (12).

MAXIMUM LENGTH OF DOCUMENT THAT MAY BE FAXED

(13) Service of a document or documents relating to a single step in a case may be carried out by fax only if the total number of pages (including any cover page or back sheet) is not more than 16, unless the parties consent in advance or the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (13).

DOCUMENTS THAT MAY NOT BE FAXED

(14) A trial record, appeal record, factum or book of authorities may not be served by fax at any time unless the person to be served consents in advance. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (14).

SUBSTITUTED SERVICE

(15) The court may, on motion without notice, order that a document be served by substituted service, using a method chosen by the court, if the party making the motion,

(a) provides detailed evidence showing,

(i) what steps have been taken to locate the person to be served, and

(ii) if the person has been located, what steps have been taken to serve the document on that person; and

(b) shows that the method of service could reasonably be expected to bring the document to the person’s attention. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (15).

SERVICE NOT REQUIRED

(16) The court may, on motion without notice, order that service is not required if,

(a) reasonable efforts to locate the person to be served have not been or would not be successful; and

(b) there is no method of substituted service that could reasonably be expected to bring the document to the person’s attention. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (16).

SERVICE BY ADVERTISEMENT

(17) If the court orders service by advertisement, Form 6A shall be used. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (17).

APPROVING IRREGULAR SERVICE

(18) When a document has been served by a method not allowed by these rules or by an order, the court may make an order approving the service if the document,

(a) came to the attention of the person to be served; or

(b) would have come to the person’s attention if the person had not been evading service. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (18).

PROOF OF SERVICE

(19) Service of a document may be proved by,

(a) an acceptance or admission of service, written by the person to be served or the person’s lawyer;

(b) an affidavit of service (Form 6B);

(c) the return postcard mentioned in clause (3) (c); or

(d) the date stamp on a copy of the document served by deposit at a document exchange. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (19).

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_990114_e.htm
                Last edited by first timer; 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

WTF billm...2008 and your still filing FL documents. Thats depressing...

If you have any of that conversation between you & your ex...attach it to the affidavit of service

Comment

Originally posted by SillyMe View Post
                    WTF billm...2008 and your still filing FL documents. Thats depressing...

If you have any of that conversation between you & your ex...attach it to the affidavit of service
                    I thought everything was settled, and we have never been to court - over four years separated, and I was served with a court application that opened everything - don't understand it, but at least the train is moving toward final divorce.

Comment

Does this mean that for a document for which 'regular service' is okay, that 'special service' is also acceptable - I'd rather just give my ex the docs and let her worry about getting them to her lawyer.

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                      Hope this helps:

TIPS ON SERVING DOCUMENTS

http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/f...t-EN-Mar10.pdf

RULE 6: SERVICE OF DOCUMENTS

METHODS OF SERVICE

6. (1) Service of a document under these rules may be carried out by regular service or by special service in accordance with this rule, unless an Act, rule or order provides otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (1).

AGE RESTRICTION

(1.1) No person shall serve a document under these rules unless he or she is at least 18 years of age. O. Reg. 6/10, s. 1.

REGULAR SERVICE

(2) Regular service of a document on a person is carried out by,

(a) mailing a copy to the person’s lawyer or, if none, to the person;

(b) sending a copy by courier to the person’s lawyer or, if none, to the person;

(c) depositing a copy at a document exchange to which the person’s lawyer belongs;

(d) faxing a copy to the person’s lawyer or, if none, to the person; or

(e) carrying out special service. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (2).

SPECIAL SERVICE

(3) Special service of a document on a person is carried out by,

(a) leaving a copy,

(i) with the person to be served,

(ii) if the person is or appears to be mentally incapable in respect of an issue in the case, with the person and with the guardian of the person’s property or, if none, with the Public Guardian and Trustee,

(iii) if the person is a child, with the child and with the child’s lawyer, if any,

(iv) if the person is a corporation, with an officer, director or agent of the corporation, or with a person at any place of business of the corporation who appears to be managing the place, or

(v) if the person is a children’s aid society, with an officer, director or employee of the society;

(b) leaving a copy with the person’s lawyer of record in the case, or with a lawyer who accepts service in writing on a copy of the document;

(c) mailing a copy to the person, together with an acknowledgment of service in the form of a prepaid return postcard (Form 6), all in an envelope that is addressed to the person and has the sender’s return address (but service under this clause is not valid unless the return postcard, signed by the person, is filed in the continuing record); or

(d) leaving a copy at the person’s place of residence, in an envelope addressed to the person, with anyone who appears to be an adult person resident at the same address and, on the same day or on the next, mailing another copy to the person at that address. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (3).

SPECIAL SERVICE — DOCUMENTS THAT COULD LEAD TO IMPRISONMENT

(4) Special service of the following documents shall be carried out only by a method set out in subclause (3) (a), unless the court orders otherwise:

1. A notice of contempt motion.

2. A summons to witness.

3. A notice of motion or notice of default hearing in which the person to be served faces a possibility of imprisonment. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (4).

SPECIAL SERVICE — RESTRICTION ON WHO MAY SERVE

(4.1) Subject to subrule (4.2), special service of the following documents shall be carried out by a person other than the party required to serve the document:

1. An application (Form 8, 8A, 8B, 8B.1, 8B.2, 8C, 8D, 8D.1, 34L or 34N).

2. A motion to change (Form 15) and change information form (Form 15A) or affidavit permitted under subrule 15 (22), with required attachments.

3. A document listed in subrule (4). O. Reg. 6/10, s. 1.

EXCEPTIONS

(4.2) Subrule (4.1) does not apply if,

(a) the party required to serve the document or the person being served is a person referred to in clause 8 (6) (c) (officials, agencies, etc.); or

(b) the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 6/10, s. 1.

REGULAR SERVICE AT ADDRESS ON LATEST DOCUMENT

(5) Regular service may be carried out at the address for service shown on the latest document filed by the person to be served. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (5).

NOTICE OF ADDRESS CHANGE

(6) A party whose address for service changes shall immediately serve notice of the change on the other parties and file it. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (6).

SERVICE OUTSIDE BUSINESS HOURS

(7) If a document is served by any method after 4 p.m. on a day when court offices are open or at any time on a day when they are not open, service is effective on the next day when they are open. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (7).

HOURS OF FAX SERVICE

(8) Service of a document by fax may be carried out only before 4 p.m. on a day when court offices are open, unless the parties consent or the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (8).

EFFECTIVE DATE, SERVICE BY MAIL

(9) Service of a document by mail is effective on the fifth day after it was mailed. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (9).

EFFECTIVE DATE, SERVICE BY COURIER

(10) Service of a document by courier is effective on the day after the courier picks it up. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (10).

EFFECTIVE DATE, SERVICE BY DOCUMENT EXCHANGE

(11) Service by deposit at a document exchange is effective only if the copy deposited and an additional copy of the document are date-stamped by the document exchange in the presence of the person depositing the copy, and then service is effective on the day after the date on the stamp. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (11).

INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED WITH DOCUMENT SERVED BY FAX

(12) A document that is served by fax shall show, on its first page,

(a) the sender’s name, address, telephone number and fax number;

(b) the name of the person or lawyer to be served;

(c) the date and time of the fax;

(d) the total number of pages faxed; and

(e) the name and telephone number of a person to contact in case of transmission difficulties. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (12).

MAXIMUM LENGTH OF DOCUMENT THAT MAY BE FAXED

(13) Service of a document or documents relating to a single step in a case may be carried out by fax only if the total number of pages (including any cover page or back sheet) is not more than 16, unless the parties consent in advance or the court orders otherwise. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (13).

DOCUMENTS THAT MAY NOT BE FAXED

(14) A trial record, appeal record, factum or book of authorities may not be served by fax at any time unless the person to be served consents in advance. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (14).

SUBSTITUTED SERVICE

(15) The court may, on motion without notice, order that a document be served by substituted service, using a method chosen by the court, if the party making the motion,

(a) provides detailed evidence showing,

(i) what steps have been taken to locate the person to be served, and

(ii) if the person has been located, what steps have been taken to serve the document on that person; and

(b) shows that the method of service could reasonably be expected to bring the document to the person’s attention. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (15).

SERVICE NOT REQUIRED

(16) The court may, on motion without notice, order that service is not required if,

(a) reasonable efforts to locate the person to be served have not been or would not be successful; and

(b) there is no method of substituted service that could reasonably be expected to bring the document to the person’s attention. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (16).

SERVICE BY ADVERTISEMENT

(17) If the court orders service by advertisement, Form 6A shall be used. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (17).

APPROVING IRREGULAR SERVICE

(18) When a document has been served by a method not allowed by these rules or by an order, the court may make an order approving the service if the document,

(a) came to the attention of the person to be served; or

(b) would have come to the person’s attention if the person had not been evading service. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (18).

PROOF OF SERVICE

(19) Service of a document may be proved by,

(a) an acceptance or admission of service, written by the person to be served or the person’s lawyer;

(b) an affidavit of service (Form 6B);

(c) the return postcard mentioned in clause (3) (c); or

(d) the date stamp on a copy of the document served by deposit at a document exchange. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 6 (19).

Courts of Justice Act - O. Reg. 114/99

Comment

If you know your ex has a lawyer, and you've been in communication with the lawyer within the past ten days, or communication is ongoing, then it's advisable to serve the lawyer on record, instead of your ex. If you serve your ex, then you need something in writing that indicates she has received it and can't turn around and claim she never received it.
                        The one and only time I initiated court action with my ex, I was advised to serve my ex (since I had no way of knowing if the same lawyer was on retainer), via courier and request a signature. Then I could file the papers at the courthouse.
                        Lawyers can play games to, and refuse to sign for papers being served on them in person (as has happened to me). If the lawyers start doing that, then courier papers to them and the receptionist will sign for the papers.

Comment

Don't you think it's time you got a lawyer and stop trying to be one.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysia View Post
                            Don't you think it's time you got a lawyer and stop trying to be one.
                            not everyone can afford lawyers. One of the main things about this site is to help people through divorce and give direction on self rep. People self rep because after 10s of thousands of dollars given to a lawyer they are not any futher ahead.

Comment

not everyone can afford lawyers

Look I have read most of these post and I am not a lawyer but to trust some of these so called store front lawyer is ludicrous. If you canot afford a lawyer and you are going to court to represent yourself, ' good luck' the other soliciter will be licking their chops. GET LEAGAL ADVICE.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X