update with CRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update with CRA

I amposting this for anyone else who didnt know this. I did not know this until to today, you are suppose to update CRA of separation 90 days post separation. Especially if your income has dropped because of separation, then it may influence amount you get in child tax benefit. I just thought I would update it at next tax time, but are supposed to do it fairly soon.

This is something that has changed not that many years ago. Any change in marital status for tax purposes needs to be reported in a “timely manner”, especially when income tested benefits (Child tax benefit, GST or Trillium credits) are a factor as these are based on net household income. This is true of all changes, but separation must wait 90 days because anything less doesn’t count.

Comment

They do this 90 days in case you reconcile and its not just a fly off the handle momentary decision made in an argument that is regretted shortly after. Any changes made and money owing will be backdated to actual date of separation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X