FRO- do I have to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
    When my ex got remarried, she sent a letter and they responded within 2 weeks, telling me I no longer needed to pay spousal.
    thanks for the advice. This remarriage is of interest to me and now I see a potential opportunity to take advantage of the FRO's involvment. Did you not have to go to court to have SS terminated? Would the FRO do this with an established common-law relationship?
    My ex is in a 1 year common-law relationship that she denies. The probable reason she has now involved the FRO is for revenge: I have initiated a spousal support review which she has dragged out over months. When she very reluctantly filed her 13.1 financial statement, it was littered with errors, the most blatant of which was deliberately indicating that she is living alone.
    When I challenged her on this in court documents, she in return challenged me to prove it, which I'm not sure how to do. It's her word against mine. I don't want to lower myself to taking photos of his car parked outside of her house every day. But I don't think I can just let this slide. I know he lives with her and my young children speak regularly (and highly) of her new spouse. He even works remotely out of her house.
    I wonder what the effect of entering into a common-law relationship would have on spousal with the FRO?

Comment

Originally posted by nogoingback View Post
      thanks for the advice. This remarriage is of interest to me and now I see a potential opportunity to take advantage of the FRO's involvment. Did you not have to go to court to have SS terminated? Would the FRO do this with an established common-law relationship?
      My ex is in a 1 year common-law relationship that she denies. The probable reason she has now involved the FRO is for revenge: I have initiated a spousal support review which she has dragged out over months. When she very reluctantly filed her 13.1 financial statement, it was littered with errors, the most blatant of which was deliberately indicating that she is living alone.
      When I challenged her on this in court documents, she in return challenged me to prove it, which I'm not sure how to do. It's her word against mine. I don't want to lower myself to taking photos of his car parked outside of her house every day. But I don't think I can just let this slide. I know he lives with her and my young children speak regularly (and highly) of her new spouse. He even works remotely out of her house.
      I wonder what the effect of entering into a common-law relationship would have on spousal with the FRO?
      Since our Spousal support was agreed to in a separation agreement and not in a court order, we didn't have to go to court to change it. There is a form, but my ex simply wrote a letter and it was done.

As for your ex's common law relationship, do you exchange tax forms? Surely she wouldn't be cheating the tax man?

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
        Since our Spousal support was agreed to in a separation agreement and not in a court order, we didn't have to go to court to change it. There is a form, but my ex simply wrote a letter and it was done.

As for your ex's common law relationship, do you exchange tax forms? Surely she wouldn't be cheating the tax man?
        Mine was a SA as well, but my ex flat out denies being in a relationship, because she knows it may have an effect on spousal. Getting her to write a letter is out of the question.

Getting her to exchange tax forms is like pulling teeth. She has only recently provided T4's but did not provide the more telling self-employed NOA's or ROA's, despite numerous requests and a case conference endorsement to do so. When filing taxes last spring, her relationship would have been less than 6 months, and would not have been established as part of the 2013 tax year. Thus she would not have indicated on previous tax forms, and I highly doubt she will next tax year.

Comment

Anonymous tip? Does CRA do that?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            Anonymous tip? Does CRA do that?
            Never thought of that.
            Lo and behold, a snitch line exists:
            The Canada Revenue Agency Informant Leads aka “Snitch” Line | inTAXicating
            Last edited by nogoingback; 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

My understanding is that FRO and other agencies like MEP in Alberta enforce/carry out existing orders, they don't change them. So for FRO, it's irrelevant whether your ex has a live-in boyfriend or not, as long as the paperwork they have in front of them says that you are required to pay a certain amount. If you want to adjust the amount, either you and your ex have to agree (in writing) or you need an updated court order.

(Depending on your SS arrangements, your ex's personal life may not be relevant to your SS obligations. Not all SS can be terminated just because the recipient has entered another relationship, especially if it's compensatory in nature [i.e. the point of compensatory SS is not to pay a former spouse to stay single]. Your mileage may vary).

Comment

Mine was a SA as well, but my ex flat out denies being in a relationship, because she knows it may have an effect on spousal. Getting her to write a letter is out of the question.

Getting her to exchange tax forms is like pulling teeth. She has only recently provided T4's but did not provide the more telling self-employed NOA's or ROA's, despite numerous requests and a case conference endorsement to do so. When filing taxes last spring, her relationship would have been less than 6 months, and would not have been established as part of the 2013 tax year. Thus she would not have indicated on previous tax forms, and I highly doubt she will next tax year.
                If she files as a single person then her new partner will not count. They have to be living together for 3 years and filing as common law for any effect regarding tax.

Comment

I mentioned snitching only if she denies it for ss purposes. If your agreement states ss until she remarries/cohabitating then make the taxman do the leg work. Otherwise, dont bother because youll still have to pay ss no matter what.

That was just my two cents.

Comment

I've heard the CRA ignores divorced ppl snitching on each other.

Hmmm.... I think officially you have to hire a private investigator for the cohabitation.

It could be grounds to terminate spousal support (need to know about your situation)..... It will almost definitely be a factor.

I think I would tell her that you know she is living with somebody and you will file a motion in court and if she doesn't admit to it that you will hire a private investigator and having him testify in court and ask the judge to force her to pay the cost of the investigator.

Comment

^^^ not a great idea. Unless you are sure that her marital status determines whether or not you pay SS, this would be a whole lot of drama for nothing. I really can't see a judge ordering her to reimburse you for the costs of a private investigator snooping around her personal life. It looks too much like creepy behavior.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X