CAS advised me to file emergency order to revoke access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAS advised me to file emergency order to revoke access

My daughter had a session with her therapist which resulted in CAS being called. CAS advised me since I have full custody that they do not need to investigate as along as I keep my child from going to her Dad's. They also suggested that I file an emergency order to revoke access. How do I do this?

Okay first off I have no idea how CAS really operates (perhaps NBdad and some others will advise) but one would think that you should obtain some kind of document/directive from CAS directly to attach with your motion materials. As a starting point. And/Or a letter written and signed by the Therapist you mentioned, reflecting the instruction made by CAS.

Comment

The therapist said she can offer her notes as proof. I am just not sure which forms I fill in and how I go about getting this order. Is it as simple as just filing it with the court? Do I have to see a judge?

Comment

If it is an urgent/emergency motion as you describe, you would go before a judge. Those matters are dealt with quickly. The court clerks should be able to advise which form(s) to complete. I'd say look on Ontario Court Forms.ca but it would be best if you knew exactly which form needs to be filed.

Comment

If there is a case of child endangerment or abuse then the CAS has a legal obligation to "Protect the Child"; as does the therapist. They are required by law to report to the "Child Protection Services" or the "Police". I would question the CAS and this therapist. Sounds like they are shirking their legal responsibilities unless there is something else surrounding the matter.

Comment

@limer: very true. I'm slow on the uptake this morning. Can't imagine why CAS and the therapist would not follow standard operating procedure as they are duty bound.

Comment

Basically what happened was that my daughter complained about her father's erratic driving, lack of food, inappropriate conversations. My ex is bi-polar. The therapist was concerned and told me she would be calling CAS. The CAS worker told her that because I have custody it is my responsibility to keep her safe. As long as I am not exposing her to the environment there is no case. If I continue to obey the order and send her both myself and my ex would be investigated. I have not spoken to CAS myself, it was the therapist that has had all the contact. It was also the CAS worker that suggested I change the order siting the accusations as reasons why to revoke access so that I am not in contempt of the order. I don't foresee my ex going after me in court since he lost the last time. He feels the government and the legal system are out to get father's so he doesn't trust them. Should I bother to change the order or continue to be in contempt and deal with the consequences if he does anything about it.

Comment

It sounds like since there is no issue with there mother and she has full custody, the CAS isn't challenging the custodial parent and really it is up to her. The therapist did their job, they reported to CAS and are ready to yurn over notes. What I would recommend is asking for clarification from CAS legal department what to do. Don't just phone, make an appointment and bring a list of questions.

Comment

If CAS is the ones telling you to not allow her to go to her father's, they need to provide you that direction (in writing) and be willing to testify to that effect in court.

If they are not willing to do that, then legally you must obey your court order. CAS should be opening a file on your ex until such time as you can get your order changed if they have that level of concern.

You ideally need to speak to a lawyer, ex parte motions are expensive and complicated. Honestly your best bet is to raise the issue with your ex and get his agreement to suspend access temporarily until the situation can be resolved.

Comment

i may be wrong but take it as a grain of salt.

you can file an emergency order by way of notice of motion describe what happened use the footnotes as evidence and MAKE SURE YOU PUT IN "made under family law rule 14".

They hold motions every friday(well mine atleast) you will go before the judge and if evidence is sufficient they can revoke access, change an order, or anything that would address the issue. Since this is of dire consequences you may not be required to serve the father.

the poster is right, if CAS is recommending you to do something then they have to put it in writing.

Comment

So I spoke to CAS. I was told that I'm doing all the right things by protecting my daughter. They aren't opening a case but did make record of my call. They basically said that I should explain my concerns to my ex. If he proceeds to court then cross that bridge when I come to it

Comment

my thoughts exactly.

Comment

I call BS.

In my experience, CAS does not 'advise' anyone to do anything.

They take matters into their own hands, if need be.

Comment

This is the very reason why Judges are becoming very distrustful of CAS, therapist etc.

It's because this type of nonsense. There are two cases

1) The child is NOT in danger- CAS does nothing
                            2) Child is IN danger- CAS does everything in it's power to protect child including going to court

Anything in between is just useless white noise. CAS isn't really concerned about the danger thus they are making you do the dirty work. You won't sway a Judge without CAS there putting their neck on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                              I call BS.

In my experience, CAS does not 'advise' anyone to do anything.

They take matters into their own hands, if need be.

Actually CAS does a lot of weird things and they lie a lot. Their budget is shrinking, the are inundated with legal suits and the Ombudsmen on their back hardcore. They are very careful on what they back and you'll rarely get anything in writing from them these days.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X