This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrimonial home split

I was talking with a friend the other day. They are going through a divorce, were only married a couple years and owned a house together but no children. It has taken close to a year to get things straightened out. My friend is going to buy his ex out of the house so he can stay there as she has moved out. Everything was settled and ready to be signed and he is ready to pay her out at fair market value. Then her lawyer made a change to the deal just before it was signed, she wanted included in the deal that if he sells the house within 2 years, they are to split the profit. This is after he buys her out. Has anyone heard of a clause like this? His lawyer sent her lawyer a letter pretty well calling her a golddigging such and such(in more appropriate terms). She decided to take this out. I am just wondering if this is normal at all?

It's not really a venue for an answer to that kind of question. 99% of us have been divorced once. A few more than once but not enought to say what is common.

We can't research private agreements, only court cases, so there's no way to tell what's normal. The most accurate opinion would be a very experienced divorce lawyer, they are the ones who get to look at the most out of court settlements.

Comment

Maybe I should reword this. Has anyone ever heard of this type of deal... Thank you for making me clearify Mess...

Comment

No, it is not normal, nor is it practiced. In effect, the ex would be creating a lien against the house, that would have to be registered for a 2 year period following transfer of the house. It doesn't happen, and his lawyer was quite correct in calling them on that.
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X