This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income Tax Surprise

So I did a preliminary guesstimate of my tax return last night, and was astounded at the refund I can get back filing as a separated mom instead of a married one. Suddenly, I get a full eligible dependent credit, instead of subtracting his meagre income from the spousal amount, and I can claim full child care expenses, instead of the deduction being totally unusable due to his teensy income. It's making a huge difference!

I have full custody, and get no child support. No spousal support is paid to him.

Before I start laughing all the way to the bank (to pay down my mortgage!), am I doing something wrong??

If you have been separated for the required 90 days, you should make sure that you fill out form RC65 immediately RC65 - Marital Status Change
    Mail that in right away - they will recalculate your CCTB, GST etc etc.

Also, your spouse may have some partial claims if you were together for a period of time in 2010. If you have been separated since 2009, have had the children full time and he has not been helping financially towards the child care expenses, then yes, make the appropriate claims.

Comment

no, I laughed all the way to the bank last year..and HE claimed our daughter!!

Make sure you file that form though. Mine wasn't registered at the time the taxes went in and they held my cheque until September! And in the mean time claimed I owed money for overpayment of CCTB.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X