Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:50 AM

sshan is on a distinguished road
Default Legal Aid Services

Hi,

I'm going through hardship and I wanted to know will legal aid help in trial . I mean preparing for trial and representing for me in trial?

Regards

SSHAN
Old 05-19-2021, 11:00 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, if you qualify.

Only way to find out is if you call Legal Aid.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:11 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinso View Post
Yes, if you qualify.

Only way to find out is if you call Legal Aid.
Key words. "IF YOU QUALIFY". Most people do not.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:35 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

In order to qualify your income has to be far below the poverty line or $0. In addition you can have NO assets. If the matrimonial home sells and that money is sitting in trust and you are unable to access it because your ex argues it’s all his, you will not qualify for legal aid. Even if the money is sitting in trust for several years and you and the children are living under a bridge and fishing in the Don River for food, you still won’t qualify for legal aid. Legal
Aid covers teen mothers whose kids are taken away and have never worked a day in their lives and don’t have a pot to piss in.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:14 AM

arbortrail22 is on a distinguished road

I know of a certain ex who did not work, but owned 2 properties (one home and one rental income not declared), only declared spousal and was able to obtain Legal Aid to file in court with a ridiculous set of motions... Some people are cheats.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:02 PM

Donald Duck is on a distinguished road

On that note, if someone lied to legal aid and moved a $750k asset to hide it to gain legal aid, how would that play out?
Old 05-24-2021, 05:34 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Dont they put liens against property you have? My mom had legal aid and they put a lien against our house. That was also 20 years ago so there is that.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:48 AM

Random_Name is on a distinguished road

I own a shit property worth about $10k, mentioned it to LAO but they shrugged and said it wouldn't affect anything, no lien, etc.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:24 AM

Donald Duck is on a distinguished road

But what are the issues, if anyone defrauded LAO, if for a serious amount of money for a free lawyer while hiding assets?
Old 05-26-2021, 12:01 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Duck View Post
But what are the issues, if anyone defrauded LAO, if for a serious amount of money for a free lawyer while hiding assets?
Happens more than it should.

What generally happens is that the certificate is pulled and based on the contracts I have seen they pay the lawyer's fees and legal aid back everything. In the case of fraud they could face fraud charges as well. Not that I have seen it ever go that far.

I have seen LAO pull back the cert and put the person on the hook for the total value of the bill that has been covered. Read the LAO contracts closely.