Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child Tax Benefit, does it offset Section 7?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know of some applicable case law? I have searched exhaustively and not found any reference to CRA benefits received for the children being considered for Section 7 expenses.

Comment

It's completely unlikely that any case law exists. As we already discussed, the inclusion of benefits in calculation of section 7 expenses is explicitly stated in legislation. Case law would only show up if there was an inconsistancy and a judge sought to overrule legislation.

If you are constructing an argument, your first cite is legislation. If the other party seeks an exception, they must justify it and cite their own case law.

So the opposite applies, you are not finding case law that denies application of benefits to the calculations.

Comment

My question is of a functional nature so I know what to ask for.

WRT the wording of the benefits "that are received by the parent or spouse for a child for whom special or extraordinary expenses are being requested." The specification of received for "a" child brings a few questions to mind:

1) if there are multiple children is it the total amount received or that amount divided by number of children?

2) if only a part of a benefit is received for the children (such as with the OTB and GST credit) is it only the portion that is for the children or the entire amount?

3) If one child has a disability does that portion of the CCTB only get attributed to that child or to all the children (ie separate ratio for the child with the disability)?

4) Similarly, if UCCB is received does it only apply for the child that is under 6?

Example:
        (benefit numbers are ballpark estimates)

2 children, Child A has a disability, Child B is under 6

Income (line 150 and line 236 assumed to be the same): $10,000

Total CCTB: $12,000
        Child diability benefit (included in CCTB): $2,500

UCCB: $1200

GST Total: $800
        Amount associated with the children: $400

OTB Total: $1200
        Amount associated with the children: $600

Taking into account just the totals
        Adjusted income for all eligible expenses: $25,200

or

Taking into account the wording "for a child"

Adjusted income for eligible expenses relating to Child A: $17,750
        Adjusted income for eligible expenses relating to Child B: $16,450

The difference is significant and I don't want to interpret it wrong.
        Last edited by SingingDad; 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

i think you are refering to the tax credit we get for sports registrations? if that is the case you can only claim up to $500.00 per child and it gives you $75.00 back at income tax time... now if you child is identified as disabled you can claim more.

Comment

I have been reading lots of threads and opinions on section 7 expenses and childcare. My understanding is you take both parents NoA and base your calculation on the %ratio calculated by adding the 2 incomes and dividing each income by the grand total. That give you the ratio proportionate to income. Then assuming a 25% tax benefit ( which is bout average) you deduct 25% from the gross cost and you come up with the Net cost of the expense which is then proportioned according to the income ratios already calculated

Example: income d. 80,000
            Income.m.35,000
            Grand total incomes. 115,000

Ratio income d. 80,000/115,000. = 69.57%
            Income m. 35,000/115000. = 30.43%

Day care costs. 4000. Less 25%tax benefit calculation ($1000) = $3000
            Income d. Pays. 3000x 69.57%. $2087.1/year $172.59/ month
            Income m pays. 3000x 30.43%. $912.90/ year. $76.pi month
            Each year this ratio would be subject to change if income levels of either person change.

If you work out the ratio you can then apply it to monthly daycare costs if they fluctuant.

Comment

My husband and I are dealing with this exact issue and heading to CC on Friday. His ex has never asked him for s.7 or daycare expenses. When we got her financials, she has received over $25,000 in tax benefits and CCTB over the past 4 years and is now wanting half of of the $16,000 in daycare and s.7 expenses from him. I too, searched exhaustively for case law but to no avail. She had been in a long term relationship with someone as soon as my husband and her separated and she never requested payment. Now that she is single she needs money. So I completely understand now the lawyers deception and cheating methods to get a settlement.

Comment

working it out

I just got off the phone with CRA and have the paper work in front of me.

COMPLICATED and sorry for the length.

I live in Manitoba, single parent and no new partner, my ex in Quebec with stay home wife and new child.
                We are "joint" w me primary care/control etc.
                We have been scratching out an order now for 10yrs. (Yes, 10 yrs!). My ex has avoided a final order which means his garnishiment would be updated to the correct amount. (His income 173,000)

So now with the end in sight my ex has now brought up my arrears for my tax benefits on my son.

My income (with 2 jobs) is about 45,000. My ex is at 173,000.
                My ex is obligated for daycare/camps etc at 80% (total 1800.00/yr) as well as activities. W Activities he pays 100.00 per month (max 1200.00)

I do 2 tax returns one with child and one without. This year as with previous yrs the difference in claiming my son is $5.00. Along with cultural and physical activity benfit and daycare claimed with child.
                I am getting 4705.00 and if I didnt claim my son 4700.00 (basically)
                (I have provided this info in previous yrs)

Prior to this yr my ex found the return too little to bother with.

This yr, he has changed his mind and brought it up as outstanding owed to him.
                Now how do i go about figuring out what he wants from this?
                My net income is low DUE to tuition for myself, rrsps, and legal costs, plus I pay extra taxes etc. (I go to school as well when I can, and have been hoarding credits and rrsps to keep me at a lower tax bracket).

With CRA: they say he is not eligible. its based on my net income. its based on primary care for the child (me) and Quebec has diff programs/laws. he in fact would not be eligible to claim it even if i gave it to him.
                If there is a squable over it...CRA will refuse to pay it out. They also made a mention of the male/female ratio on the call and in the infromation. I would need to authorize him to try to claim it or have it paid out to him as its not for his specific benefit but the childs. So CRA has made it very clear its not a perk BUT something that goes for the child.

I dont want to be stingy. I pay into my sons resps, insurances, and private school on my own, plus food, clothing, shelter, bdays, everyday LIFE.
                But I dont feel he has a right to it BUT extra income for my son's benefit and his expenses.
                Lawyer says to shut up about it. for me to document and provide what info i have and let him stew in it. (i have family wizard which keeps the uploads and posts) My ex doesnt bother reading it.

Am I wrong? and what would be fair in this situation?
                Im worried that this will be brought up again one day when I claim arrears. (its inevitable). So im trying to be proactive.

Sorry for the length.

Comment

Originally posted by COURTISMYLIFE View Post
                  My husband and I are dealing with this exact issue and heading to CC on Friday. His ex has never asked him for s.7 or daycare expenses. When we got her financials, she has received over $25,000 in tax benefits and CCTB over the past 4 years and is now wanting half of of the $16,000 in daycare and s.7 expenses from him. I too, searched exhaustively for case law but to no avail. She had been in a long term relationship with someone as soon as my husband and her separated and she never requested payment. Now that she is single she needs money. So I completely understand now the lawyers deception and cheating methods to get a settlement.
                  I would think a settlement would be for the outstanding owed. parents ahve a financial repsonsbilty. its fine to move on...but the first child has to be taken care of.

Not sure if this pertains or not but what was the reason your partner wasnt paying these expenses in the first place?
                  Regardless of the governement money she received. I would think that the expenses for the child would be paid by both parents first.
                  Why would the parent with the child be footing the bill waiting for the govt money to arrive? Government doesnt replace the parents responsbilty. I would think that the government money is a perk to helping the childs betterment and circumstance, providing opportunity. Why would he get a discount off of what he needs to pay?
                  What would that have to do with the lawyer or his cheating methods in trying to get a settlement?
                  Im not sure I agree with this view.

Comment

How did u get a 25% tax benefit? how is that the average? I contacted CRA and have been told its 10%

Comment

Most agreements state one parent can claim the cctb uctb or whatever the equivalent to spouse is. I dont think thats what hes talking about. What he is probably talking about is his share of the benefits for s7 expenses like daycare etc. hes supposed to pay the NET COST of the expense which is the total cost minus the taxable benefit split proportionate to income. So if daycare is $1000 and the tax benefit is $200 that means you split the $800 proportionate to income. If hes been paying the split on $1000, you have to pay him back his share of the $200 you get back in taxes.

At least thats how Im reading this. Others who get the child tax credit can answer that one.

Comment

Originally posted by COURTISMYLIFE View Post
                        I believe that your husband is responsible for daycare if it is or was necessary for the parent to be able to work. The fact that she didn't ask for it at the time or that she was in another relationship doesn't let him off the hook - he is still responsible for his child's expenses. His lawyer should have informed him of this at the time of divorce.

Other S7 expenses (e.g. extracurriculars) are different - if his consent was not obtained prior to the expenditure being incurred, he doesn't have to pay. (Medical expenses are also different - if the S7 involves necessary medical expenses, he's responsible for his share, even if the expenses were incurred a while ago). Bear in mind that he is responsible for the post-tax cost of daycare - if his ex claimed or could have claimed them on her taxes, the benefit she received by claiming them should be subtracted from the amount she splits with your husband.

I don't believe the CCTB offsets S7 expenses. It has the word "Child Care" in the name, but it's actually a universal benefit which everyone with children of the eligible age receives, whether or not they are paying for child care. The only things that offset daycare expenses are tax benefits or subsidies which are directly tied to them, such as the tax credit for child care expenses (not the CCTB) or subsidies for daycare.

Your husband's divorce agreement should contain direction as to who receives the CCTB. Some people split it, some people direct it to the person who has primary residence with the kids.

I don't envy you trying to sort out four years of unpaid child care and S7. I strongly suggest you hire an accountant, or make a lump-sum offer to his ex to settle the matter rather than spend lots and lots and lots of money on lawyers digging up the last four years.

Comment

Similar... And in middle of resolving university s7. Three years with lawyers, 20 grand in fees. Nowhere closer.

Shared custody, 50/50 for 2 youngest, oldest at uni. I pay full table as she doesn't break the floor for offset.

Ex has own business. Claims 6000 annual income. Every year. CRA does nothing. Remarried to a guy making 120 annual. My divorce order is so bad I have to go back to court to get the spousal dropped. Let's not get into why. Self represented, etc. etc. My question however is in relation to the section 7 and spousal support. When it comes to apportioning should not the spousal support be deducted from my income and added to hers? Have had various lawyers give me different answers on this and reading through the law it's not that clear to me

Comment

CCTB is separate from "net cost". The ex sounds like they got tax benefits for daycare which will come off the price (ie. Full cost of daycare = $20000, tax benefits total $10,000 therefore his portion is % of 10,000. Unless she also got subsidies, then you remove that amount from total). You should demand a full disclosure of all schedules of her tax returns. That will show what she claimed and what she was entitled to.

Not sure about the spousal income amounts. You normally take what her line 150 is to calculate incomes for determination of % share. I thought you had to claim SS on your taxes? Either way, the % for uni is calculated via line 150 income. Doesnt matter what her new partner makes. Plus you consider a portion of the expense to you kid which is "normally" 1/3 but partners lawyer said its still a grey area.

Comment

Well if you lol at references above it says to deduct spousal (not CS) in determined s7. Doesn't say to add it to receiving party for same purpose but yes on taxes this is what happens. I deduct she adds it to her income for taxation purposes.

Well aware new partner income matters not. Just that spousal normally ends when receiving party is self sufficient. I'd say 45 grand in support and settlement income and 120 grand from a new spouse applies. But I have to get the court to agree. I digress...

Yes the law is intentionally grey so that it perpetuates itself. As lawyers always say...'well if the parties can't agree you'll have to get in front of a judge for a ruling". Of course, at $500 an hour for the lawyer quoting this.

Comment

In that case depending on what your ex does, you might want to also look at imputing an income to her. Might make s7 expense calculation much easier.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X