Imputing Income to Homemaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imputing Income to Homemaker

I have done only a small amount of research but cannot find anything that specifically addresses my question.

After being married 23 years, a homemaker for 18 years, and separated at 50, is it possible income could be imputed at minimum wage part-time? Or is it always a full-time minimum wage imputation?

My administrative assistant skills from my previous life are outdated and I need upgrading. I have been working in retail parttime. I live in a city with the 3rd highest unemployment rate. Decent jobs are scarce.

P.S. my Wasband is a lawyer.

Since no one else has replied...

Is there a reason why you can't work full time? If not, it seems reasonable to me to impute a full-time minimum wage salary.

Comment

Arthritic back and fingers. Getting worse by the year. The part time job I have now is standing on my feet 4-7 hours and it is excruciating by the end of the day on my back. A clerical position would be better-suited, but because I have not worked in an office setting for 21 years (since before the Internet in offices), and my skills need updating, I am just wondering if a part time minimum wage job has ever been imputed because realistically that is all that is available to me.

Comment

Lots of jobs you could look at doing and retraining/upgrading certainly feasible if you are only 50. You can take night courses on computer basics for low cost. Also check out resources for woman re-entering workforce.

Minimum wage full time is quite normal. You can try to negotiate less or possibly a step-down process wherein year 1 you have no imputed income; year 2 you have 75% minimum wage imputed income; year 3 100% imputed income (or whatever you feel is fair).

Gone are days where you can sit back and do nothing (unless you were married to a very wealthy individual and had a uber rich lifestyle). Besides, you will most likely feel better about yourself if/when you find something to do with your day... meet new people, etc. Self-esteem can be the most rewarding thing of all after a long marriage and divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          Gone are days where you can sit back and do nothing (unless you were married to a very wealthy individual and had a uber rich lifestyle).
          But the "wasband" is a lawyer.

Not sure if it "my CURRENT husband" or "my EX-husband". Sways the recommendations significantly based on the condition of the statement.

Comment

Thanks. Trust me I don’t sit back and do nothing and I feel just fine about myself. Except my arthritis. That sucks. And my soon to be ex husband is a lawyer who has managed to successfully drag this separation process out for 4 years now. It took over 3 years for him to provide all his financial disclosure. My forensic accountant just finished her report last week and after paying her $15,000 to do so, I am anxious to see it. By the way I’m 54 now (55 this year) and we were married 23 years.

Comment

How close are you to rule of 65 rough guideline?

Comment

Originally posted by ross_toronto View Post
                How close are you to rule of 65 rough guideline?
                She said married 23 years and separated at age 50. So above the 65 rule.

Comment

Yes. Above the 65 rule. Married 23 years, separated when I was 50. Now I’m 54.

Comment

So you would possibly have long term spousal offset by a minimum wage inputation... is that what your lawyer thinks?

Comment

Yes. That is what my lawyer is suggesting.

Comment

How did this conclude? I hope the arthritis is better.

Comment

Nothing is concluded. And the Wasband stopped paying SS altogether April 1 claiming he has no foreseeable income during the pandemic. It’s BS...just another means to try and break me.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma2016 View Post
                            Nothing is concluded. And the Wasband stopped paying SS altogether April 1 claiming he has no foreseeable income during the pandemic. It’s BS...just another means to try and break me.
                            Well, presumably he is making at least $2000 a month. Assuming you worked last year, you should be making at least the same.

Comment

Balance out the potential legal fees against the impact of imputation
                              SS is taxable in your hands
                              Your fees to secure SS are tax deductible for you
                              His fee are not tax deductible
                              When you set all that out and consider retroactivity (separation date) then consider this in your written offer .
                              Make it reasonable.
                              Ask for mediation, in writing.
                              If you end up in court you will have imputed income but no guarantees the level or duration
                              I like the step up idea
                              Say $15k year one up to $30k in year 3 or 4
                              Very reasonable
                              Get a medical opinion in writing for the issues
                              Settle. Court is not the place for this fight.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X