This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRSP Investment During CFL Process

Help me everybody. My wife (separation date of 2011) made an RRSP contribution January 2013 for the 2012 tax year. We are currently knee-deep in the CFL process. Am I entitled to 50% of that particular contribution. She says no, I say yes.

I agree with your ex as this 2013, 2years after your separation. It is 100% hers only.
    Only assets acquired during the marriage are subject to equalization.

Comment

What she does after the separation has nothing to do with you. She could win $50 million and because it was after separation she would not have to share that with you.

The only thing that matters for equalization is anything that happened up to the separation date.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
        What she does after the separation has nothing to do with you. She could win $50 million and because it was after separation she would not have to share that with you.

The only thing that matters for equalization is anything that happened up to the separation date.
        extactly what my lawyer told me. We didnt even have a separation agreement yet but I had retained a lawyer and he had one also. His lawyer had also sent a letter to me stating that she was his lawyer. According to my lawyer that showed an our intent to separate.

Comment

Thank-you for your replies. I have a follow-up question. Can I invest in some real estate (revenue property) that she will not be entitled too???

If I am not entitled to her RRSP, can I invest my own money (small inheritance)into revenue property with the same result??? I am in Alberta...

Comment

Can I invest in some real estate (revenue property) that she will not be entitled too?
            Why would she have entitlement to anything of yours after separation?

I am in Alberta
            You should consult the laws relevant to your jurisdiction.

Comment

Orleans Lawyer..., I posted a new thread with more detail. I always appreciate your insight.

Comment

Unfortunately my sight is not long enough to reach the Alberta borders from Ontario. I will avoid muddling the situation with commentary based on extra-jurisdictional law, and hope that you are able to find information from someone in Alberta.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X