X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal use of family name

Here's one to wrap your heads around:

When my ex and I were married, she took my last name for hers. When we divorced (3 years ago), she returned to her maiden name. When she remairred, she took his last name which is what she now goes by.

Through completely legal means, I have discovered, and can prove, that she still has credit cards using my family name (I must stress this was obtained legally, I have no information, nor interest to obtain any, on her other credit dealings). I have contacted her about this and she refuses to change the billing details to her new married name.

If all of her other ID (except for her birth certificate, of course) lists her new married name, is it legal for her to continue to use my family name to maintain credit cards?

My understanding is the law does allow her to continue to use my name after our divorce as long as the use is consistent (ie., passport, driver's license, credit cards, etc., all match). There are no children involved, so I can't even see that as a reason.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure of this, but I can't see why she 'wouldn't' be able to. If you are worried that she's going to rack up some mega charges with the cards all you need to show is that you are seperated or divorced and the credit card co will leave you alone. So long as the charges she has made were done after seperation it isn't your problem.

Comment

She can still use your name legally or both, as long as she is trying to hide her identity for criminal purposes. I still have ID in my married name, that I haven't gotten around to changing yet. As long as you are not "joint" on these credit cards, you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X