Ignorance is Bliss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    There are pre-nuptial as well as post-nuptial agreements in Canada - check CanLII for samples.
    There are no prenups in Canada than can effectively protect you from family law.

You cannot have a prenup that doesn't do the division of property, that excludes spousal support, nor excludes child support.

I can't imagine what kind of prenup you could write that would actually protect you here because you could easily give MORE away in a prenup.

There are no way two consenting adults can get into a relationship on the terms that they both agree upon. The state has decided it will impose it's own standards on the relationship.

I believe there is no other situation where two consenting parties are forbidden from arranging a contract as they see fit (assuming it only impacts them).

I wonder if theoretically if you had an agreement with a prostitute to live with you, could she eventually came alimony from you if she lived with you... (its not actually possible now because purchasing the service is illegal).

Comment

...because then they won't get table amount CS

Originally posted by undersc0re View Post
      I think most women would support it, why wouldn't they want what is best for the children. Most women could take that break from the kids to go out and socialize etc...
      If they have legal aid, and they despise the guy then maybe some can not resist but to make the ex's life a little more expensive and difficult, but most I am sure would do 50/50 if both parents are in a situation to do it and it does not make the children's life too hard, would suck to spend a week with mom a block from school, then the other week with dad 2hrs drive from school and friends, but it depends on a lot of other things I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
        There are no prenups in Canada than can effectively protect you from family law.

You cannot have a prenup that doesn't do the division of property, that excludes spousal support, nor excludes child support.

I can't imagine what kind of prenup you could write that would actually protect you here because you could easily give MORE away in a prenup.

There are no way two consenting adults can get into a relationship on the terms that they both agree upon. The state has decided it will impose it's own standards on the relationship.

I believe there is no other situation where two consenting parties are forbidden from arranging a contract as they see fit (assuming it only impacts them).

I wonder if theoretically if you had an agreement with a prostitute to live with you, could she eventually came alimony from you if she lived with you... (its not actually possible now because purchasing the service is illegal).
        Theoretically speaking, a prostitute is in the business of making money, so if you let her live with you and continue to "work on the side" then you very well might be able to strike a deal. He/she would only want to make sure that your cohab didn't interrupt with his/her stream of revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          Speaking of pigs. How are you doing Oink?
          Juicy comment for sure. I have had my suspicions too.

Comment

Originally posted by hopefull View Post
            Really....how many times have we read it from posters who said their wives refused to go back to work after kid was of school age? Point here....once you are married, it's hard to win the argument when a wife decides she doesn't want to go back to work
            But we're hearing from those men at the moment when they realize that they have to pay a lot of support, and they're mad and trying to find a way in which this is someone else's fault - so the story becomes "my wife refused to get a job! She insisted on staying home!". These situations exist because both parties go along with it - either there was never any real disagreement at the time about one party staying home (it's only in hindsight that the story becomes "she refused to work!") or the husband went along with the situation rather than rock the boat, in which case he created the problem for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              Juicy comment for sure. I have had my suspicions too.
              You could be right. Very similar preoccupations/obsessions/recurrent and usually irrelevant comments.

Comment

I agree and this should serve as a wakeup call to those stupid enough to be contemplating shacking up with someone else

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                But we're hearing from those men at the moment when they realize that they have to pay a lot of support, and they're mad and trying to find a way in which this is someone else's fault - so the story becomes "my wife refused to get a job! She insisted on staying home!". These situations exist because both parties go along with it - either there was never any real disagreement at the time about one party staying home (it's only in hindsight that the story becomes "she refused to work!") or the husband went along with the situation rather than rock the boat, in which case he created the problem for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                  You could be right. Very similar preoccupations/obsessions/recurrent and usually irrelevant comments.
                  The Halle Berry comment what was piqued my suspicion.
                  The continuous misogynist remarks ... tiring.
                  All we are missing are the cartoons.

Looking back a previous posts (May of this year)

I have a question relating to this thread, and hope some of you can help with your personal opinion as to how to proceed.

I have been divorced now for 4yrs, and been dating here and there, mostly short term due me having criteria and non-compromise factors. I have a child who spends time with both parents on a week on / week off schedule.

I met a lady recently with 2 kids who has been separated for 1yr, but she is the highest earner, and her ex got the daycare nanny pregnant and already moved in with her. However, their kids spend time between both homes, and there is no formal schedule in place and no support of any kind being paid.

Initially, my gut told me the situation seems complicated, and I should avoid getting involved. However, there was an initial attraction and we embarked on this 'lets see what happens' dating. She has no plans to sort out the divorce, and it seems to me that she is not over the situation yet, and I find the arrangement (ex is able to come to her place when he wants) she has odd, especially if am going to be hanging out there.

Anyway, I have ended the relationship as I don't think it's fair on me or her, and she probably needs time to be mentally ready to have someone new in her life.

Your thoughts on dating people in the separation phase, establishing friends with benefits, and sticking to deal breakers?????

Sound familiar?
                  Last edited by arabian; 10-25-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X