Jg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stripes View Post
    "Behavior afterwards" isn't the point. The point is whether he beat and choked her to force her to have sex with him. She's not on trial, he is.
    According to the CBC play by play she accused him of "he slapped twice, looked at her, slapped again, kissed and choked" which all happened within 10 seconds she says...

Something to that effect. It wasn't a prolonged assault or something she fended off. After that she stayed for over an hour at his house and kissed him goodnight (whereas she didn't kiss him before going to his house).

I don't want to downplay it but its relatively minimal compared other crazy things in the world and she never says she told him to stop, she didn't leave, she kept seeing him, she kept in contact with him. Its hard to not imply those later actions are not a form of proof to say that nothing that disturbed you in your relationship with the guy...

There were emails where she alludes to wanting to destroy him but for half the trial before that she talks about how she wants what is best for him.

The fact she waived publication ban, her twitter exploded from 1000 folllowers to 25000 followers etc.... look bad.

I believe there is sexual assault abuse but at the same time people are into weird things and I don't know statistically what % of ppl are into bdsm or how that gets started. I am think of 50 shades of grey and how it is demonized on one hand but consumed by women everywhere.

Even if I feel like he is abusive (personal sleaze meter) I would never feel comfortable of seeing him convicted with this level of poor evidence. So far, it would be a travesty if he was convicted based on what I have read.

I have the dubious pleasure of having been a couple of degrees of separation from Ghomeshi in my student days (friends of friends), and he had a reputation as a sleazoid even way back. Women warned each other to stay away from him, but there were always new women who hadn't heard the stories, and he was so popular and charismatic that no one wanted to tell the world what he had done, because they feared they wouldn't be believed and that he'd be vengeful. He made all the right feminist noises, even took women's studies courses, so he must be one of the good guys. He's a grade-A violent predator and I'll be happy if he gets put away for a long time.
    Lots of guys fit this profile, the whole "bad-boy" type (though he sounds like more of an insecure douche) - girls go for "bad boys" even if they know they aren't good, so that's what you get. Lets not forget in his circles he is a celebrity, some women are perhaps so blinded by starriness that they are willing to endure the abuse to be in his limelight (though they may not want to admit it) - and this is a form of consent, maybe (is it?).

I don't like how you have him convicted him in your mind, that's not fair.

Comment

I have the dubious pleasure of having been a couple of degrees of separation from Ghomeshi in my student days (friends of friends), and he had a reputation as a sleazoid even way back. Women warned each other to stay away from him, but there were always new women who hadn't heard the stories, and he was so popular and charismatic that no one wanted to tell the world what he had done, because they feared they wouldn't be believed and that he'd be vengeful. He made all the right feminist noises, even took women's studies courses, so he must be one of the good guys. He's a grade-A violent predator and I'll be happy if he gets put away for a long time.
      That reminds me of The Pervocracy: The missing stair. .

Sometimes it's easier to pretend something isn't happening or didn't happen than it is to do anything about it (confront them, report to police). Most people default to doing what is easy instead of what is right.

Comment

"Behavior afterwards" isn't the point. The point is whether he beat and choked her to force her to have sex with him. She's not on trial, he is.

I think you make a very valid point Stripes. Often victims of sexual abuse are encouraged, as part of their recovery, to confront the abuser by way of pressing charges and going to trial. There is a stark difference between people who consent to S&M (such as in the 60 Shades of Grey book) to someone who consents to sex and finds themselves choked or strangled. I would think the onus would be on the accused to prove there was informed consent to S&M.

On the other hand, it would be in the accused favour if evidence were raised that the victims were aware of the accused penchant for assault prior to their consenting to having sex.

All in all, the guys is a total loser IMO. Probably has a small penis and thinks he is a blessing to all women. I hope he crawls back under the rock that he originated from.

Comment

The guy chokes, pulls hair and punches women in the head.

I just can't get past that, no matter what credibility the victims have. I get the whole S&M, rough sex thing .. but when more than one female is reporting it, it creates a pattern. Couples who engage in S&M type stuff generally don't report each other I wouldn't think. That's kind of their thing.

For the money and fame? I'm not sure .. a CBC host who I'd never heard of before the accusations. Also I think the victim in question was a TV actress from Trailer Park Boys (famous also?)

Maybe there were some satisfying sexual encounters, but the guy got progressively rougher and she thought it would stop, later realizing she'd been abused badly. From a psychological standpoint, we mustn't forget syndrom's such as "Stockholmes", where victim's become romantically attracted to their abuser. Not saying it applies here, but the mind can do funny things.

Getting punched in the face unexpectedly while having sex, choked and beaten just will never sit well with me.

But I understand what you're trying to convey Links. You want him to have a fair trial..."Innocent until proven guilty", especially regarding the credibility of a few victims now.

I just have a hard time digesting that these women (one a TV personality), would group up and conspire against this guy about very private, embarrassing aspects of their private life. Just my opinion.
          Last edited by LovingFather32; 02-05-2016, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post

p.s. Crosby is a duck as well.
            I'm presuming you meant to refer to Cosby, and not Crosby, in this context.

Comment

The trial details making it to the news, are crazy. This is the best the Crown came to court with?

If they made this into a "made for TV movie", CBC might have some ratings. :-)

Comment

Hey, as soon as he is accused he is guilty and the court procedure is just window dressing...

There is a trend though both the women were trying to wreck his life.

1. I was trying to bait him out
                2. I will decimate him

Hardly the language of abuse victims... More like plotting conspirators....

Comment

This is not a statement regarding JG's guilt or innocence, but a more general statement regarding the comment about language of abuse victims.

I think it is not possible to predict how an abuse victim would react as the reactions would be as varied as people themselves. Some victims want to forget and pretend it never happened, some may become angry later and want revenge in which case their language might "seem" like plotting conspirators.

Again, not applying necessarily to this case, just a general observation.

Comment

Today, apparently, the 3rd witness against Ghomeshi, has been listening to media reports (against judge's orders), and gave the police a "new" statement, because of this.

Again, really interesting how this case is going.

Comment

Even if he raped these women, with the type of testimony I've read it would be a massive injustice if he is anything but non-guilty.

That's case x3 recently that I can think about which seems to be clearly scams
                      -the feminist harassment case
                      -patrick kane
                      -JG

These women should be penalized for nothing else than not having told their lawyers about all the weaknesses in their case. It seems they didn't care about winning the trial, it was just a matter of getting him to trial and ruining his life (mission accomplished).

I hope CBC rehires him...... just to make a point.

Comment

I don't think you'll ever see him on the CBC again, They pretty much burned that bridge.

I agree though...given what has been revealed so far, it's unlikely one could without reasonable doubt, find him guilty. Unless he came out and confessed. If he even did anything illegal. The crown witnesses don't seem to have any creditability whatsoever. The email and messaging evidence is quite interesting, and quite damming for the Crown.

Comment

Okay I think the witnesses suck big time. However, hypothetically, it is interesting to think about this scenario:

Lets say that the witnesses are prostitutes.

Would this make any difference in the current situation?

I'll even colour the situation a bit more - the john is a known kitty-banger.

Does/should this change things?

I'm thinking that perhaps the prosecutor would have had a better chance of success had he gone the assault route as opposed to "sexual" assault?

Comment

The only thing this trial is doing is keeping him out of jail. His reputation in Canada is ruined. Going to prison on sex assault would destroy him. His lawyer is only pulling the reasonable doubt card which is why they opted for a judge only.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                              ...His lawyer is only pulling the reasonable doubt card which is why they opted for a judge only.
                              They aren't pulling a "card". The trial is simply revealing facts.

If anyone was trying to play a "card", I'd say it was the Crown's witnesses, and they don't seem to be playing that "game" very well. I say game, because you have a bunch of adult women, who in their captured email/messaging (evidence), seemed to regard this as a game. It's a very bizarre case.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X