X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whe is he not filing?

Hi everyone,

Just want to make sure I not missing anything. I legally separated from ex in oct 2009. He was engaged and cohabiting with a gf by january 2010. This past april-2011, the gf moved out 'to concentrate on her carreer and ex was to get the divorce papers done. It's now July and nothing has happened.

I paid for and organized most of the separation agreement so I had said long ago that he could take the lead on the divorce papers and at the time (summer 2010) he agreed.

The obvious reasons why he may not have started the process could be any or all of the following:
    1. he is lazy and is waiting for me to do it
    2. his relationship with the gf is really over so he doesn't have that ultimatum hanging over his head
    3. He does not have the money to pay. He told me it would cost 2000$ for it it Ottawa.

If I have to down the road, I will to organize and arrange the papers, but he said he would do it so im trying to let him.

Are there any 'sinister' reasons why he may be delaying the final process?

ps---the sep agreement clearly states that we are separate financially.

nobody has a comment? so there is nothing to worry about?

Comment

Originally posted by nowwhat View Post
      nobody has a comment? so there is nothing to worry about?
      You appear to be asking us to read minds. If you are waiting for your ex to do the work then any consequences are out of your hands. If you have fears, then take control.

Comment

But is there anything that can come up if I already have a good legal separatation agreement or is it just 'paperwork' at this point?

Comment

The separation agreement was witnessed and signed? Did both of you have independant legal advice?

Realistically speaking, even agreements thought to be "ironclad" can be contested and disputed. It all depends on what the circumstances surrounding the dispute(s) is/are. There is not enough information about your particular situation to know what may or may not be contentious issues, and of course, as mentioned, we can't read minds and have no idea what your ex may or may not be thinking.

If i were you, i would (1) directly ask the ex his intentions and (2) take care of the filing myself so that it is done in a timely manner and to ensure any concerns i may have will be adequately addressed.

Comment

if everything is separated then their is no need to worry anymore.. divorces are not cheap - so he probably doesnt want to pay! I have been separated for 4 yrs - so for now I just live like I am divorced... we have been to court and have a court order ( Final Minutes ) so there is nothing more he can do unless he decides he wants to "revisit" or start something new. If you want the divorce bad enough you are really better off doing it yourself... sucks, but then it's done. That's what i'll be doing!

Comment

Simple Divorce...cost was < $200 for me..and that includes having to reorder the marriage certificate AND using registered mail.

Comment

do tell where I can have one done for $200

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X