This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Parenting and Ontario Family Court

My ex-girlfriend and I separated in 2008 after being together since before my son's birth. At the time, we both agreed to try a joint custody arrangement and both of us moved to same city for work. About a year ago, after finding out about my new relationship, my ex applied for sole custody of our son. Since then, we have attended several case conferences but nothing has been settled and things between my ex and I have deteriorated.

My ex and I had been able to come to agreement on a school and daycare for our son but agreement on parenting issues seem to be more and more infrequent. She has since accused me of neglect, called children's aid 'anonymously' and has refused to give her consent for me to take our son out of the country on vacation with my new family. She has repeatedly harassed me about my intension to marry my new partner and I recently learned that there has been attempts to alienate me from my son by my ex's father.

The court had requested that my ex and I attend communication counselling which fell apart when the counselor found out she had told the court it wasn't working then turned around and asked the counselor for more session. Although we can talk about day-to-day things, she and I still don't have a forum to work through our disagreements and she has refuses to go to mediation.

Since our last session, I have been advised to disengage from the conflict with her and focus on a parallel parenting model but I am concerned she will use this against me in court. I have started to limit contact and communication in the hope to limit conflict around not only with my son but with my spouse.

Basically, most of the cases I have read only allowed for joint custody using the parallel parenting model if the parents are able to communication which seems redundant considering the reason one would use this model. Should I even be considering this or should I be trying to co-operate with her even though it causes more conflict?

Regards,
    End of my rope

Ok, so I have decided to go ahead and advise the court that my intentions as my ex has started making harassing calls to my place of work to re-engage in conflict about 'concerns' she has with our son eating dairy. Hopefully, this is the right move...

Comment

Thanks for the update.

However, to me, you're losing focus to the other parents conduct. Just document and remain on being the better child centered parent. Bite your lip and Smile.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X