This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice to my questions

I hope someone can help with my question,s I do need advice,After 8 years being divorced I feel it is time for me to also move ahead,Our children are now grown and I continue to pay spousal support,I want to buy a small place to call my own I will have to get A high mortgage my question is if i have new obligations will this reduce my spousal support my ex is working now and has her own home now she seems self sufficient now I just want to move ahead myself now and have a new life Ive paid and paid and now i believe it is time for me to also live is it possible and what can i do to move ahead without other the other issues I want to put the past in the past
    sincerely peter
    P.S can I get a new financial statememt done on both parties if i buy a home of my own and prove she is now self sufficient

Moving on.

First,it would be nice for our readers to know a bit about your separation agreement,amount of spousal support,child support,etc.Each year you would have supply each other with a finacial statement.A little more info and i am sure you will receive replies.

Comment

This can be an easy process, and you could posibly pull it off without a lawyer. At the very least start the process yourself than have a lawyer finish it off for you. You can begin the process to get a "motion to vary" by simply going to the courts family division and getting the necessary paperwork. Once you begin the process you will have to submit a financial statement along with some proof of income such as pay stubs, T4s and /or income tax returns. When she responds, she will have to submit the same. the fact that she is working more than before, earning more than before, owns a home, that the children are no longer dependants...these may all constitute "material change of circumstances" and could be valid arguments to have the spousal support varied. Under the Family law act in Canada, both parties have an obligations to gain self sufficiency. If you can provide a little more details as to the facts on both sides we may be able to clear a few things up.

Comment

Other than the post of c1opinse this thread is a mishmash of the English language. It's hard to offer any help.

FN

Comment

I was married 20 years,divorced now 8,2 kids,I am no longer paying CS I pay only SS now,I make 45k I am paying 700,My ex I assume makes approx 20 plus as she works under the table she now owns her own home etc I was just wondering is it possible for me to finally take a step to buying a home All I was asking was could buying a home and having a high mortgage payment reduce my SS A bit ,I only ask for advice,I feel when I have paid 8 years of SS and my ex can buy a home etc I dont begrudge this one moment,I think It is great my ex has moved on I just wanted to know is it possible to reduce or even terminate this SS thats all not to be riddled for my grammar thanks
          Last edited by peter41; 10-15-2009, 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling typo

Comment

Thank-you for your kind words,I wish I could help with 2 sides of the story but I know not a whole lot about my ex,Just what i hear from our friends and kids,There is no communication between us,All i wanted was some advice thats all I wish I could open up more but it is so hard still,if I could get the SS suspended for awhile say 6 months would the courts feel that after that time my ex could become self sufficient on her own ?
            Thank-You again
            I want to be able to breath again with a new start also

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X