Section 7 Expenses - Child Not Enrolled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 7 Expenses - Child Not Enrolled

Hello, I've searched for an answer, but cannot find. Hoping for some guidance.

Child WAS enrolled in an extracurricular activity, that I was order to pay for. Child is no longer in that activity. I will email the mother and ask for this money, but I need to get this cancelled by FRO.

Questions:
    1. Am I entitled to the previous months payments as I was never told the child is no longer enrolled until recently
    2. I'm going to communicate immediately, but how far back in history can I go?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. We will be updating child support through lawyers as we do yearly in June anyways. This is just one more item to address.

Has the item just been submitted to FRO? Was it outlined in an agreement?

You can email the other parent and request proof the child is actually attending the activity that was paid for and if they are not, when they stopped attending. Depending on their answer, you will take next steps.

They could lie and say they are. Unless you have proof the child is not attending there is nothing you can do.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. It was submitted to FRO a few years ago. I only recently found out the child stopped attending the activity. I will do as suggested. Child is older as well, so I can also get texts verifying they no longer attend

Comment

As you redo your child support, definitely bring up the overpayment of an activity in this as well as outline that expenses must be agreed to in advance in writing and not submitted to FRO.

You can also dispute expenses/arrears submitted to FRO that are not specifically outlined in an order/agreement filed with FRO. For instance, dance lessons. If your order/agreement says section 7 activities must be agreed to in advance in writing, you can dispute this if filed with FRO. If your order/agreement says “dance lessons totaling $100 per month” then they can be filed with FRO.

Your ex should have been providing receipts throughout the process.

Comment

Originally posted by spongedad View Post
          that I was order to pay for. Child is no longer in that activity.
          Were you ordered to pay a fixed s7 amount, like an extra $200 per month on top of cs for "activities", or a specific amount for a specific activity. Depending on which I would think you're either stuck or should be repaid unused fees.

as well as outline that expenses must be agreed to in advance in writing and not submitted to FRO.
          OP was ordered to pay it and have it included through FRO.

Comment

The activity was added to FRO on top of CS a few years ago. We have not updated for a while, so I will attempt to get receipts and back payment when we update in a few months.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X