my Lawyer schedulling a case conference for new year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my Lawyer schedulling a case conference for new year

Just got an email from my lawyer about a case conference to being scheduled in january,I sent an email back saying i would like not to go to court as takes money away from my family,
    I am not even sure what this is ,sounds like more money for lawyers,not my kids . We hardly have anything to settle, some pension money ,and cs .

Anyway you can settle out of court? Lawyers are not necessary, although they can be a shoulder to cry on if things get messy. My lawyer back in the mid 80s was a real rock, still miss the ol' bastard today. RIP.

Comment

My advice is always have trial dates and try to settle in between now and then if you can't settle go to court. It depends on the situation but the basic concept is that in whose interest is it to drag out negotiations?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
        Anyway you can settle out of court? Lawyers are not necessary, although they can be a shoulder to cry on if things get messy. My lawyer back in the mid 80s was a real rock, still miss the ol' bastard today. RIP.
        One of the key pit falls of divorce - if you need a therapist get a therapist - they're the ones who's shoulders you should be crying on. Lawyers are for legal advice.

You'll save a MASSIVE amount of money if you can separate therapy for your therapist and law issues for your lawyer. Your lawyer is only to happy to have you sit in their office and complain and try and be right and understand motives and crying @ $350 per hour they'll keep you there as loooooooong as possible.

And at the very least you may be able to get a medical receipt so your therapist bills are tax deductible.

But totally agree - if you can settle out of court then try try try.

Comment

Thanks, so i should be telling him to make an offer of settlement ,with my input first and see where it goes ,she is self repped now ,as far as i know, and keep the scheduled confernece just in case.

Comment

Thanks, so i should be telling him to make an offer of settlement ,with my input first and see where it goes ,she is self repped now ,as far as i know, and keep the scheduled confernece just in case.
            Get a reasonable offer to settle over to the other side. Sit down with your lawyer, lay out your bottom line, and get an offer to settle drawn up and submitted to the ex. You WANT to have a date to keep things moving forward, in case the other side wants to drag their heels.

If you wind up coming to agreement between now and then, then the lawyer will simply cancel the case conference.

Comment

Having my motion date scheduled and showing we were ready to proceed got it done for me.

We served her with all the motion paperwork early.

We received nothing back. 5 days before the motion my lawyer got a call that they wanted to sit down and settle.

I agreed but told them if it wasn't settled we were going to motion.

We settled it 2 days before the motion. Deadlines and court appearances can be very motivating.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X