does she have to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does she have to work

My ex wife and I have been divorced for 5 years. We have shared custody and determined our child support based on each others. income. She purchased a home with her fiancé (who makes substantial money in May), and was soon fired from her job for attendance. she told me she had no intention of looking for a job in the summer. She has went to Mexico in September going to the Dominican in November and Mexico again in January for vacation. She says she is looking for work but just can't find anything.(she is able bodied with 2 college diplomas and 16 years in the IT industry) A couple weeks ago without warning I received a letter from her lawyer asking for triple the amount of support I have been paying. We had based our support on what I would pay in support minus what she would pay in support with her getting the difference since I earned more. Since her support obligation has dropped so low she would like more support from me. Is she entitled to more money?

Trevor...Listen up

1. you have been divorced 5yrs and you have an order....yes?

2. Your only responsibility is to your child/ren

3. Her new partner is none of your business...don't get wrapped up in who she is banging currently, and how much money he earns. DON'T

4. Am guessing you are creeping her Facebook page, cos how else would you know where they've been or going? Facebook is ****, get off it

5. Ignore the letter from the lawyer....period!

6. Until she exchanges a NOA with you, DO NOT LISTEN TO HER.

Finally....ignore any texts / calls from your ex that hasn't to do with your child/ren!

Comment

1) we did the separation agreement ourselves and jointly filed an uncontested divorce there is no order.
      2) I agree my responsibility is my kids. They live with me 50% of the time and I still pay her support. Her new support demands will put me in financial danger.
      3) I don't care about her partner, however his money allows her to not work, therefore she does not want to contribute to her child support.
      lets say I make 80k and my child support was $1000 a month and she makes 60K and her child support is 800 a month, therefore I owe her $200 a month.
      now that she is not working her income is 20k on ei and her support goes down to $100 a month, she is now requesting $900 a month in support. And she can afford not to work because it's a dual income home.

4) I am not creeping her Facebook. She tells me where she is going when she asks me to take the kids during her scheduled time when she goes on vacation.
      5&6 sounds like great advice, thanks,

Comment

She will get her income imputed for not returning to work. Simple as that. You will continue to pay the historical CS. Judges don't like when people don't return to work.

Comment

I truly hope you are right. thank you.

Comment

If she pushes to have it changed then she will need to demonstrate her job search effort, her resume and positions she has applied for, everything she is doing with respect to getting a job. Her new partners income *may* come into play if she pulls hardship.

Ignore the letter and wait to see what her next step is. Without an order shes got nothing and if she threatens court you can request an imputed income.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorS View Post
              I truly hope you are right. thank you.
              I agree. I don't think you have much to worry about...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X