Legal aid - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal aid - thoughts?

I have been approved by legal aid for coverage. But, I am having a very difficult time finding a lawyer who will accept my legal aid certificate. I've searched legal aid website for a lawyer, but all lawyers I found were too busy to take on the case. I cannot afford a lawyer on my own.

The respondent in my case is not providing disclosure so I am at a complete standstill. I attempted to schedule a motion, twice now. I'm finding the clerk's very difficult to deal with scheduling my motion, although I've had duty counsel assist in my paperwork.

I have done quite a bit of the work to prepare my case on my own, up to this point. I've obtained information through the freedom of information act, civil and small claims court proceedings the respondent is a part of, etc. I filed my application citing case laws, etc etc.

Has anyone else dealt with legal aid? What are your thoughts vs self representing?

The respondent had already threatened me stating if they have high legal bills I will be paying for it. That makes me very nervous

...ask yourself, have you done everything in your power e.g. mediation to try and resolve this at the lowest level, and which comprises are you willing to make to put an end to what can potential turn into a costly battle.

Additionally, think of all the toll it's going to take on you and how it will affect you moving forward and dealing with other people.

Good Lawyers want the client that has money to burn, not one on a certificate

Comment

Originally posted by Bellbaby View Post
      I have been approved by legal aid for coverage. But, I am having a very difficult time finding a lawyer who will accept my legal aid certificate. I've searched legal aid website for a lawyer, but all lawyers I found were too busy to take on the case. I cannot afford a lawyer on my own.

The respondent in my case is not providing disclosure so I am at a complete standstill. I attempted to schedule a motion, twice now. I'm finding the clerk's very difficult to deal with scheduling my motion, although I've had duty counsel assist in my paperwork.

I have done quite a bit of the work to prepare my case on my own, up to this point. I've obtained information through the freedom of information act, civil and small claims court proceedings the respondent is a part of, etc. I filed my application citing case laws, etc etc.

Has anyone else dealt with legal aid? What are your thoughts vs self representing?

The respondent had already threatened me stating if they have high legal bills I will be paying for it. That makes me very nervous

Take advantage of hiring a lawyer. There's more to family law than just the law. There is the court procedures and family law rules and that's where the lawyers come in handy.

Lookup highly rated lawyers in your area and call all of them. If they don't take legal aid ask them if they know a lawyer who does. Goto your local courthouse, make your self feel comfortable in the court, get used to the environment , attend public court rooms, yak to duty counsel (they are lawyers that work for legal aid and can be retained) ask them if they take legal aid and whether they know someone who does. You could also visit the FLIC and put your name to speak to a lawyer there. Meet with as many lawyers as you can before you make your decision to hire one. Hire the one that you feel most comfortable with. If you get bad vibes from the lawyer don't hire them. Hire one that treats you like family but make sure they're not being nice just to get money from you.

Keep looking until you find one. It's free. You better take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X