This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering opening a Divorce Consulting Business

I would like to start a small business similar to "The Smart Divorce" out of Toronto. My question is, Where can I find text regarding the difference between Legal Advice and Legal Information? At no time would I provide Legal Advice, I will assist in getting your financial and background paperwork in order and how to work with your lawyer. Does anyone feel that there is a need for this kind of business? All comments will be accepted, I will not take anything personnal.</O
    <OThe only way to achieve is to ask<O</O

Originally posted by get-your-game-on View Post
    I would like to start a small business similar to "The Smart Divorce" out of Toronto. My question is, Where can I find text regarding the difference between Legal Advice and Legal Information? At no time would I provide Legal Advice, I will assist in getting your financial and background paperwork in order and how to work with your lawyer. Does anyone feel that there is a need for this kind of business? All comments will be accepted, I will not take anything personnal.</O
    <OThe only way to achieve is to ask<O</O
    This sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be cost. I would not have considered a service suck as the one your proposing only because of the cost a divorce/seperation with lawyers, mediation, and court fee's already sky high.

This would be a viable option for those that have the money to do it.

Comment

As CC4ex says, this sounds like a great idea. It would be a good resourse for those who are self representing. The only drawback is that there is the Paralegal system available for Legal information, at approx 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a Lawyer. Your fees for this type of service would have to be somewhat lower than a Paralegal would charge. My cost for an uncontested divorce using a Paralegal was only $1200.00.

Comment

Originally posted by get-your-game-on View Post
        I would like to start a small business similar to "The Smart Divorce" out of Toronto. My question is, Where can I find text regarding the difference between Legal Advice and Legal Information? At no time would I provide Legal Advice, I will assist in getting your financial and background paperwork in order and how to work with your lawyer. Does anyone feel that there is a need for this kind of business? All comments will be accepted, I will not take anything personnal.
        <oThe only way to achieve is to ask<o</o
        The challenge is that the people looking for this service have the worst situations. They have just too much to get Legal Aid and not enough to get a lawyer. So you find yourself in a mess.

You would be better of becoming a mediator. There are lots of mediators who are not lawyers.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

</o

Comment

I went to the Court today and picked up the forms I would need to get a simple divorce. The first step will cost $167.00 and the second step will cost $280.00. They gave me all the forms and what to do with them and how to file it with the clerk. They also told me I could get a fee waiver depending on how much I make a month.

Comment

Originally posted by walshch View Post
            As CC4ex says, this sounds like a great idea. It would be a good resourse for those who are self representing. The only drawback is that there is the Paralegal system available for Legal information, at approx 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a Lawyer. Your fees for this type of service would have to be somewhat lower than a Paralegal would charge. My cost for an uncontested divorce using a Paralegal was only $1200.00.
            Paralegals are forbidden to handle family law cases. While you might find one that would be willing to help fill out forms, keep in mind that they don't learn anything about family law in school, they aren't tested for it for their licenses, and they can lose their licenses if they are found handling your case. As such, good luck finding one willing and able to help you out.

Information on filing out forms and how to word things and when and where to file is available from duty counsel for free. It's a fine line to walk if you are going to do more than duty counsel, but less than a lawyer.

Comment

I agree with mess. You need to be very careful....the advice and how you present it. You'd never be allowed in a courtroom, now even with wsib you need to take a paralegal course in order to represent. Before anyone could hang a shingle on their door and call themselves wsib reps.

I know you wouldn't be representing anyone, but again you'll have to proceed lightly. I would draft up an air tight waiver and seek legal advice before taking up the cause.

Comment

The original poster wasn't asking about having a Paralegal represent them in Court, they were talking about starting a Divorce CONSULTING Business. Not sure why Mess and Lostfather are suggesting that is what my thread implies???

Comment

Originally posted by walshch View Post
                  The only drawback is that there is the Paralegal system available for Legal information, at approx 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a Lawyer. Your fees for this type of service would have to be somewhat lower than a Paralegal would charge.
                  Because you wrote this. ^

As well, if you do anything more than provide info, you are acting as an unlicensed paralegal.

There are 10,000 divorce lawyers in Ontario who would then be on your ass.

Comment

My 10 c
                    You know after I won my case a lot of people seriously sugested to me to change career.

And you know what. I know for sure that I will never ever will be able to do it for money and for somebody else. I just need to be sure that what I am saying is 100% truth and with such aproach my career as a Family Law lawyer would be doomed.

I also would never be able to have "funeral home" business.

Obviously everybody has their own bags in the head. Mine are thous.

Comment

Plus being able to spell would help.

Family law can be simple or very complex. Why do you think lawyers cost so much....because they recognize the legal issues and all the remedies ...

Comment

I am dealing with assessing my second lawyer....all their years of experience mean squat.....unfortunately many of them but not all only know how to take money from clients.

I sat in assessment court the other day and heard how people owe far beyond $90,000 to lawyers and the law firms are trying to take their homes to pay them back for no action on their case.

The Upper Law Society do not allow Paralegals to represent client in "family Law" matters, I wonder why???

Alot of family law lawyers would be out of business!!!

I went through Four lawyers before I found ONE with scruples and integrity.

Yes Im tainted with the Family Law System and their lawyers. Finding a good one is like finding a needle in the hay stack.

Comment

To cashcow4ex, this is the whole reason to have such a business; it is to keep the cost down. If we were all informed of just the information and documents that you will require prior to go to the lawyer office, this will reduce your lawyer bills. I hope you do realize that we are all charged at the lawyers cost however it is the paralegal employee that completes the work.

To Walshch, I am very pleased to hear that you were able to complete your uncontested divorce for such a small amount of money. There are not many families that walk away from the court system only paying what you did.

To Tayken, Even if you are in the worst situation, it is always important to have your affairs in order. I have educated myself on how to become a Mediator; this was another career path I have been contemplating.

Comment

To Lorac, like you said, simple divorce. There are about hmmm 5% of simple divorces in Ontario</ST1. I would be curios, are there children involved, business ventures, family assets, pension plans etc…If there is then you might want to be careful going forward. A simple divorce can get quite ugly once the other partner comes to realise what they may or may not loose.

To Mess, you are so right, paralegals are forbidden to handle family law cases. I have also thought about the 10000 lawyers not liking me very much. What about the 1000000000 families that don’t care for lawyers very much. Lol.

To LostFather, I have thought about waivers and already spoke with a business lawyer. I have been reading about Limited and Specific Power of Attorney contacts to have my clients sign prior to any discussion with them.

Comment

I would like to give an example of information that my business would supply. When FRO was holding over $10,000.00 for back payment of arrears, they told me that the courts would send the Court Order to them. Then after waiting 1 month, I spoke with them again and they informed me that I now have to send the SDO. Therefore, I made sure it was sent from the Court House. Another month went by and nothing was sent. After numerous calls to FRO, I did ask “are there any other forms that are required to have these funds released to me?” The answer was always the same. No. You have all of the proper documents it is just a matter of time for the finance dept to scan the forms on my file then it would be released. Again, waiting another month and nothing came in. I called back and asked for the reasons as to why it still has not been processed. The customer service agent said I needed to go on their website and print off a statement of arrears form and have it commissioned from either a lawyer or judge. Why I was not told this at the beginning. It took me over 2 ½ months to get the funds released. This is one of the reasons as to why I want to start this business. If we the public were more informed as to the proper process then it will cause less friction for all the parties involved. agree?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X