Toronto RN tries to kill daughter, blames family court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto RN tries to kill daughter, blames family court

Interesting article in the Toronto star about a Toronto RN who injected her 19 month old daughter with insulin, left a murder-suicide note blaming the family court judge for granting her ex supervised access.

This case was high conflict from the start. I really wish family court would do more to identify these cases and intervene by way of mandatory mental health assessment and/or supports for these parents.

So sad, the little girl is permanently disabled but is luckily now living with her father and paternal grandparents.

Agree with you. Separation and divorce in and of itself is immensely stressful and can cause someone to develop a major depressive disorder( situational crisis). Separation is also one of the risk factors associated with intimate partner homicide. This has been going on for years and years and years. You’d think that knowing how stressful and potentially lethal family court can be, that they could develop some sort of triage/Assessment immediately upon a couple entering the realm of family court. These deaths/tragedies are preventable! There needs to be more accountability with the courts. In this case, the family court judge had commented that both parties participated in death threats to each other. So he knew that neither party was stable, yet despite this granted custody to the mother, thinking she was the lesser of two evils. Perhaps neither parent should have had custody after he concluded they were both unstable?

Comment

It’s interesting how dads have to go through parenting after divorce classes but moms are never ordered to do it. Courts should order BOTH parents go through classes to understand the importance of parenting.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        It�s interesting how dads have to go through parenting after divorce classes but moms are never ordered to do it. Courts should order BOTH parents go through classes to understand the importance of parenting.
        The courts have children ,women ,dogs and then men in order of priority.
        ROFL

Comment

It�s interesting how dads have to go through parenting after divorce classes but moms are never ordered to do it. Courts should order BOTH parents to go through classes to understand the importance of parenting.
          Well, if the parent being ordered to classes has a good lawyer, the "the sauce will be good for the goose as well as the gander" line will fall and both parents will be off to some training.

Most times people don't ask that the other party do the same so that they both have a common understanding from the educational experience... Good lawyers always get this ordered on the other parent.

Comment

It�s interesting how dads have to go through parenting after divorce classes but moms are never ordered to do it. Courts should order BOTH parents go through classes to understand the importance of parenting.
            In my experience- the coaching for separating families- the divorce classes required both parents to attend. Catholic family services was the agency I reached out to at the beginning and they required both parents to attend. Not only dads.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
              In my experience- the coaching for separating families- the divorce classes required both parents to attend. Catholic family services was the agency I reached out to at the beginning and they required both parents to attend. Not only dads.

There’s a Mandatory Information Program (MIP) which should be triggered by the submission of pleadings, but it doesn’t happen sometimes. In my case, it never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideOut View Post
                There’s a Mandatory Information Program (MIP) which should be triggered by the submission of pleadings, but it doesn’t happen sometimes. In my case, it never happened.

Thats for the court process. The parenting classes are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                  Very sad story indeed. Glad the little girl is in safe care but tragic what happened to her. All because her mother could not handle "sharing" the child with her biological father. Not to get political or rattle cages, but Family Court really needs to start dropping a bit of a hammer on parents who treat their children as "only theirs". That occurred in my case where my ex had to be reminded a number of times that I was equally a parent to our kids.
                  Apparently- she isn't going to be okay- she will always have disabilities and likely die young. It's so tragic. This 'mother' is a monster.

As to your other points- I agree.

Unless there are extraordinary circumstances (IPV, huge distance between the parties, etc), shared parenting should be the standard. Where it's determined there's no history of IPV or child abuse, mandatory parental counseling (on gov't dime- instead of using useless mediators) should be in place for at least 3-6 months.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X