Refusing to follow court order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusing to follow court order

Our 50/50 agreement states both patents pay equal for car insurance. Post secondary school, transportation, residence is 1/3 split. Parent parent child.
    Ex is now refusing to pay towards insurance and has told our children they have to only go to the university close to her so there is no residence to pay. Also refusing to pay her portion of parking for university.
    Is it worth seeking legal advice on this? We have two children facing this.
    Thank you in advance

Originally posted by dad_needs_help View Post
    Our 50/50 agreement states both patents pay equal for car insurance. Post secondary school, transportation, residence is 1/3 split. Parent parent child.
    Ex is now refusing to pay towards insurance and has told our children they have to only go to the university close to her so there is no residence to pay. Also refusing to pay her portion of parking for university.
    Is it worth seeking legal advice on this? We have two children facing this.
    Thank you in advance

Are the kids attending school away when a program is available closer to home? Does the school provide public transportation as part of the tuition fees?

Comment

The one is attending as close to home as she can but there is no transportation. Both of us live 45 mins away in other towns.
      Instead she is moving in with my wife's son who lives in the same city as the university.
      Our other child will be getting a car soon for work.

Comment

That doesnt answer my question. Is there a program at a school close to the mother? Where the child is living with your step son, is there public transportation from that residence to the school?

Comment

There is no transportation from ours or the mothers house. We are both rural with no public transportation.
          She is moving in with my wife's son because we do not want her driving 45 mins each way every day.
          From my step sons there is public transportation

Comment

Refusing to follow court order

Ok so they are going to school in town but you both live outside the city. Which means she can’t argue they are purposely incurring additional costs by going away to school because everything is “out of town”. If they were going across the province that’s a different case.

The problem is the living costs though. 45 minutes to school is not far and much cheaper than living expenses to live 45 minutes closer. Your ex could argue that she is not responsible for a portion of the costs for rent/food since kid could live at home and commute. Mom would have to share the transportation costs. She doesnt have an argument there.

If your agreement specifically states she pays car insurance for kid to work then she is out of luck on getting that thrown out. If kid does not need a car she made have a leg to stand on.

As for the other school costs, yes it is 1/3 to each.

You could get legal advice but you could also self rep for this. You are basically getting an order for her share of expenses.

ETA 45 minutes to school is nothing and you are being unreasonable. I lived in a university town and my drive was 60 minutes. It wasn’t even a question of living in residence or somewhere else. I lived at home. You have week about and if its the same distance to mom’s house she can live there too.

Comment

Great info!
              Kids also need the cars to get to work and back. Presently she is using the car to get herself and also her sister to work and back when at their mothers as the mother works and cannot drive them. I work from home sime days and am more flexible but they still need a car as both of us live rural with zero public transit.
              Agreement states "reasonable drivers insurance" as well as 1/3 post sec. school transportation.
              The school is 60 km away.

Comment

60 km from home is not unreasonable and her argument about not paying living expenses is valid. If kid wants to live in town then she bears a bigger share of the cost. She could live at home for free.

The insurance is a no brainer and ex has to pay her share.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X