This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inheritance - second mortgage

Was in a common law relationship for 8 years. We were always in financial difficulties and while pregnant with our secod child in 2005 we received money from ex's mother. She said it was deemed to be part of his inheritance and a second mortgage was placed on the home. The money was used to pay joint bills. When the mortgage came due we moved it to another bank and therefore had to go through the hassle of discharging the second mortgage. My ex told his mother that he would not be re-registering the second mortgage on the home. Is the money deened an inheritance even if there was a second mortgage on the home. His mother, if it matters, is still alive and well.

Any insight you could provide would be great.

Thanks, Wendy

If it was an inheritance, then the money was his, but he chose to use it to pay bills etc. Unless you agreed to pay half of it back, I would think you don't owe any of it. not a legal answer, just a moral one.

My mother also gifted me with $5000 when I was on Mat leave and we couldn't pay the bills. I used most of it for bills, and $600 to put in hardwood flooring. Even though it was a gift to me, I spent it on my family. I would never expect my ex to pay me back for any of it, and it will not be addressed in our separation agreement.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X