FRO CS deductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO CS deductions

After 10 years, the ex decided to register everything with FRO as we have a case conference due to the children's living situation changing.

So I am new to this god awful system. I have never been in arrears and faithfully paid on time every month.
    My question is this, if my monthly support based on my line 150 is $1100 a month and our agreement says 50% every 1st and 15th, will FRO deduct 50% from every single pay check? The reason I ask is I am paid every 2 weeks which means 26 paychecks a year. They just deducted the first CS payment off of this pay for 50% which subsequently I will need to be reimbursed for as I already made a full months payment on June 1st as per the instructions on the letter I received from them.

26 x $550= $14,300
    1100 x 12= $13,200

From my experience, FRO deducts 50% every other week during a 2 pay week month. When there is a 3 pay week month, they deduct nothing. You get your full pay on those weeks (usually there are 2 in a year). In regards to the payment and deductions, I don't know for sure. I was told by my lawyer to cease paying and allow FRO to garnish from your employer. This way, there are no over payments or shortages (as FRO keeps track). If you are amicable with your ex, maybe she will reimburse you the payment. Otherwise, you may need to ask your lawyer... as long as you have proof of payment. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks Tired_Dad. I have a call into FRO about getting reimbursed but it usually takes 3-4 days for a call back. I have ceased paying her directly and will let FRO do it. There was an overlap I guess from my last payment to their first paycheck deduction.

Comment

Why don’t you work with them to pay it like a bill? Thats the easiest way and you know there will be no surprise.

Comment

Thats what i was doing for about 6 weeks. When I finally got a hold of my case worker the paperwork had already been submitted to my HR department. Good times I tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post
            Thanks Tired_Dad. I have a call into FRO about getting reimbursed but it usually takes 3-4 days for a call back. I have ceased paying her directly and will let FRO do it. There was an overlap I guess from my last payment to their first paycheck deduction.

I would really be interested in knowing how this turns out. My ex overpaid and claims fro needs a court order to return the money. Even after I filled out the proper paperwork saying it was an overpayment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mom 2 Two View Post
              I would really be interested in knowing how this turns out. My ex overpaid and claims fro needs a court order to return the money. Even after I filled out the proper paperwork saying it was an overpayment.

Court order should not be required. Did FRO give you the overpayment? My husband made his payments through online banking after he stopped working. Sometimes he paid weeks ahead. When he called to update his new address the worker asked about his youngest daughter. She had recently completed her post secondary program. The worker told him his obligation was done and to not send in any more payments and provided him with the letter to stop child support. A month later they sent him a cheque for the excess amount in the account (about $450).

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
                Court order should not be required. Did FRO give you the overpayment? My husband made his payments through online banking after he stopped working. Sometimes he paid weeks ahead. When he called to update his new address the worker asked about his youngest daughter. She had recently completed her post secondary program. The worker told him his obligation was done and to not send in any more payments and provided him with the letter to stop child support. A month later they sent him a cheque for the excess amount in the account (about $450).

I filled out papers to return the overpayment to fro. So they didn’t pay me support for two weeks. I told my ex fro has the money and he has to call and get it back. His gf says they were told he needs a court order. ?? I think she is lying which isn’t a surprise. I have my statement. It shows me not getting the support for those two weeks. And at the end it says credit balance 0$. So it looks to me he has gotten his money back.

Comment

You will need a court order to modify or change payments, especially if you have a court order. FRO is only concerned with ensuring the payments in the order are made. You can sign a motion to change on consent, and have it endorsed.

FRO will garnish the payments from your employer but it's up to your HR to decide how to provide payments. The garnishment will come out of your gross amount first, then your deductions. FRO only looks at end-of-month payments made.

It is up to your HR on how it's garnished. They cannot garnish more than 50% of your NET income. If you have arrears, you will need to sign and submit a VAPS agreement that is deducted on top of the garnishment.

In my case, my HR will garnish the max 50% net of my first month paycheck which covers about 65% of total SS/CS I owe. The second monthly paycheck will be garnished for only the remainder.

As for over payments, if you can prove it to FRO, then your case worker will either apply it to any outstanding arrears or you get the payment.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X