Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Helpmyspouse Helpmyspouse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road
Default

Same here. Travelled with two small children. Nobody asked to see anything. On way back child was asked where is dad. We replied he didn't come with us. That was it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:21 AM
SpiritWithAhatchet SpiritWithAhatchet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
SpiritWithAhatchet is on a distinguished road
Default

Maybe some parents aren't aware of it.


Hammer Dad. I Read your post too late and did the call instead of email but it probably made no difference this time..


When I asked about school location she said that we should wait for school principal to contact us because our first mediation/conversation was going pretty well. She seemed as she is willing to keep talking and to spend more time with me and the principal on this subject.


I don't even know if we will even see him anymore. But that was all. She also said she registered her travel tickets and will soon bring me a paper to sign a consent. She agreed to keep the child with me for 30 days.


Now I am stuck. I don't know what to do.


PS. I have no way to contact him When I asked for his email from ex she said she said shes not sure where she put it and will look it up one of these days.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 AM
HammerDad HammerDad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,892
HammerDad will become famous soon enough
Default

Sounds like things are going OK. You can likely look up the principal online through the schools website and get their details there.


Regarding all of the people that have traveled without a consent letter: it isn't an issue until someone asks for it, and then it is a big one. I have traveled with my kid and have been asked a couple times. I always have it, so it has never been an issue. But if you don't, you can expect some issues getting to where you are going. Especially in instances where there is ongoing acrimony or disputes regarding the trip. A parent can call the CBSA and have the child flagged so they can't leave the country. So it is simply good to have the consent letter.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM
SpiritWithAhatchet SpiritWithAhatchet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
SpiritWithAhatchet is on a distinguished road
Default

In your opinion the best thing would be to sign the consent and wait or look for the principal?



I thought to tell ex if she don't agree to school then I will go to court. Especially because she is leaving in 3 weeks and returning around when school starts. Because I think when she returns from Europe she will simply put the kid in her school.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-09-2019, 05:10 PM
tilt tilt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 173
tilt is on a distinguished road
Default

Your only leverage is the travel consent letter. Why would you sign it and thus pretty much give her final decison-making in the school choice? Werenít you also asking for all of July? Did you get it?

Last edited by tilt; 07-09-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-09-2019, 05:38 PM
SpiritWithAhatchet SpiritWithAhatchet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
SpiritWithAhatchet is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes I got 27 days of July so it is OK. But I don't know if I can use the consent for school location?


Or should I sign it and go to court?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:10 PM
tilt tilt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 173
tilt is on a distinguished road
Default

Go to court when? In the two weeks before your ex leaves on vacation? You must have a speedy court service where you live. I doubt you can get a voice of the child report prepared in two weeks either.

Whereever your child starts school in September will most likely be their permanent school. It would be too disruptive to change schools after that point and few courts would agree to move the child. So if you donít settle the question of what school the child is going to before you sign the travel consent, the child will go to the school chosen by the parent that has physical custody the first day of school. Since your ex is getting 30 days, and you are only getting 27, ask for your three days to include the first day of school as take your child to your choice of school if there is still no agreement (informing your ex ahead of time of course, and assuming she does not have a written Order that she has sole custody or final educational decision-making authority)

As a parent, you want this issue settled ASAP for the childís sake. All this instability is not good for the child - at that age they need to know what school they are going to in September. So if this is not really a big deal to you or the child, donít fight it. If you believe you are acting in the childís best interest in choosing a different school than you should take all reasonable, necessary steps - including prioritising having the school issue settled before any travel plans are finalised and travel consent letters signed.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 PM
SpiritWithAhatchet SpiritWithAhatchet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
SpiritWithAhatchet is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree with you. I told her that just now. She started raising her voice "nobody is stopping me to go for holidays" and also said the school that I want our kid to go to is dangerous. The current school principal (grade 6) said there are kids who are dangerous in that school and police is always involved and that my kid has connection to it like some kids threatened to stab him.



We have a meeting tomorrow. Just the 2 of us.She also said she will pay for her tickets tomorrow that she had registered. I told her not to rush as I won't sign consent unless we make an agreement.


Tomorrow hopefully we make an agreement. The only thing that worries me is the kids threats against my kid in that school that started on instagram and I found about it too late, when school was finished.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:46 PM
SpiritWithAhatchet SpiritWithAhatchet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
SpiritWithAhatchet is on a distinguished road
Default

An agreement has been reached. Where is the best place to legalize our agreement? A Lawyer?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Berner_Faith Berner_Faith is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,257
Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWithAhatchet View Post
An agreement has been reached. Where is the best place to legalize our agreement? A Lawyer?


Always a lawyer but you both need separate lawyers to ensure you have independent legal advice. If you skip this step, expect the ex to argue they didnít understand the agreement


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.