Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 7 or not

Quick question for everyone:

My daughter has chosen an expensive musical instrument as part of her music program at school next year. The cost will be approximately $800-1000 in rental fees over the two years she requires it or about $650 upfront if we just buy one. It is a mandatory part of the curriculum. I believe this cost should be shared proportionate to income. Ex feels it’s just something I should absorb as his share is covered under regular child support.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would consider it a section 7 but only IF its necessary for her educational path. I took instrument music in school and it was provided by the school. Obviously things have changed in 30 years.

I see this as a kid choosing to go away to school when a comparable program is available at home. If she wants to play a more expensive instrument at school then the cost is on you.

There are arguments on both sides but to me if she doesnt plan on becoming a concert (instrument) performer in the future she should choose a less expensive one or you pay for it.

Comment

It’s grade 7 music but it’s required for the next 2 years.
      Dad will argue that the school will provide. She will not want that because the school instruments must be shared (gross) and cannot be taken home, therefore she’d never be able to practice.
      I have a feeling I’ll just be on the hook given that the school would technically provide it (even though most kids rent or buy at her school).
      I don’t have a problem covering it, I just think it’s crappy that he can say it’s covered under regular support when it’s not an everyday item.

Comment

I recall that my parents were on a European trip when I started grade 7 (yep left with a nanny). I selected the music option and decided to take up the flute. My parents were away so I simply used the school flute. Most kids can't make a proper sound out of wind instruments for a while so it wasn't a big deal. Well I ended up doing ok with it and there was a school concert in December. My parents attended. (The flute I had assigned was crap. I really didn't care because I was more interested in make-up and boys that year.) My parents were pretty horrified when they attended the concert and watched me play and when I had to lean down and pick up the end of the flute every 5 or 6 minutes! Of course parents immediately purchased a flute for me and, of course, put me in private lessons with "the best." I ended up excelling at the flute. To this day I still have that flute. I used the school flute and I was quite ok. We were able to sign one out for the term though.

Perhaps speak to the school about this? I can't imagine children having to share wind instruments. Are you sure about this? All wind instruments can be thoroughly cleaned but I wouldn't want to do it every day/week. Reeds and such (clarinets) and corks on flutes have to be cared for properly.

You can check out purchasing a used instrument. Many people foolishly purchase expensive instruments for children who end up using them only a few times. Check with local places that provide lessons and see what is for sale. Check out garage sales this summer. I've seen many musical instruments for sale. You can buy a used one and have it professionally cleaned and it may look just like new!

Don't make your child's new-found interest in music sour through bickering with your ex.

Check with the school and get the facts yourself.
        Last edited by arabian; 06-14-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I played flute clarinet and oboe all provided by the school. We shared the instruments which were cleaned after each use. We also signed them out to take them home and sometimes weren’t available. I am surprised the school doesn’t do this.

Fighting with your ex over it is useless. I’m sure she will be fine using the school instrument or find a used one at a local music shop.

Comment

That seems like a high rental cost in relation to purchase price. I rent 1 instrument because know kid will only use for elementary school (and yes we treat it as section seven). It’s about 180/year I think. The other is a used rent to own of a much more expensive instrument. I pay 80$/months and I don’t treat it as section 7 because I own it and didn’t want to deal with splitting it later that one I knew kid would use to grade 12 and I figured out the rent to own cost would have been equal to rental cost at 5 years so worth it to buy. It seems strange that the rental cost is going to be higher that buying by 1.5 years. I rent from a well known national company

Comment

I find it strange the school doesn’t allow the instruments to be rented out... there are 6 schools in my area and they all have music programs and all schools allow students to take the instruments home. I certainly wouldn’t be purchasing one unless my child was excelling at music... it’s usually a 2-3 year thing and that’s it... most kids unless they are musically talented don’t continue on with music after they have completed the mandatory credits. I do think you’ll have a hard time arguing S7 when the school provides said instruments

Comment

It must depend on the school district. In my district everyone rents or buys instruments from instrumental rental companies. Schools don’t rent or provide instrument except for the really big ones that are too big to take back and forth, like drums and double bass. The school has their own big instrumemtsbut students are expected to have their own at home to practice. Band is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
                  It must depend on the school district. In my district everyone rents or buys instruments from instrumental rental companies. Schools don’t rent or provide instrument except for the really big ones that are too big to take back and forth, like drums and double bass. The school has their own big instrumemtsbut students are expected to have their own at home to practice. Band is optional.

So my kids’ school is similar to this. Everyone rents or buys. The school has a few they’ll provide but then you’d be sharing with others and cannot take it home. I don’t find that very ideal. Band is optional too but my daughter will likely want to join as she enjoys music. I feel like it should be considered Section 7 because it’s expensive and not an everyday item the regular support would cover. That being said, I’ll end up footing the bill on this I’m sure.

Comment

Either..

A) It is S7

In which case ex needs to provide consent, and it would be reasonable for him to refuse consent if there is a free option available.

B) It is not S7

In which case ex does not need to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                      Either..

A) It is S7

In which case ex needs to provide consent, and it would be reasonable for him to refuse consent if there is a free option available.

B) It is not S7

In which case ex does not need to pay for it.

It is the free option that will screw me over I guess. She cannot fully experience the music program without renting or buying because she can’t be in band or practice at home with the free option from the school. I guess that’s what I present to him but ultimately I think I know where this is going. We will be mediating (again) in the fall, so I will at least bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                        ...The cost will be approximately $800-1000 in rental fees over the two years she requires it...

I've never heard of a school outright not allowing student instruments to go home with the student, for practice. Does she ride the bus? Sometimes large instruments are not allowed on the bus, so I could see that. If the school doesn't allow it on their end, that's an odd policy.

(I see you answered that in further response.)

Not a section 7 expense.
                        Last edited by dad2bandm; 06-18-2019, 02:50 PM. Reason: Saw further response that clarified, school disallows it, apparently.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X