X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shellshocked22 View Post
    Hey Standingonsidelines....

I hear what you're saying ! Best way to protect yourself is NOT to get married again (obviously) and NOT to live common law also. Law keeps changing so what is OK today may change years later and you can still get screwed over !

I've even heard of the odd case where a couple has been DATING (NOT co-habitating) but often had "slumber parties". EVEN THEN, effing courts said it was basically common law and guy got nailed for $$$

I think I'll just buy a blow up doll, will be way cheaper. Unless blow dolls get rights under Family Law act, wouldn't surprise me lol !
    hope you do not have a latax allergy lol

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
      Yes they can, we do it every day at my firm.

The need for Independant Legal Advice occurs when the LAWYER dealing with the parties has a conflict of interest. It has nothing to do with the contact, but the appearance of impropriety of lawyer preparing a contract for the benefit of parties, while only representing one party, their client.

If two parties come to an agreement without the assistance of lawyers, there is no need for ILA, as they are already independent. The test of "unconscionability" is a common law test that. The courts would determine whether the agreement is reasonable, and if it is unreasonable or unconscionable, they can set it aside.
      Interesting. I always thought it was wise to have independent lawyers for a pre-nup.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Interesting. I always thought it was wise to have independent lawyers for a pre-nup.
        It is. Especially given the ramifications that may happen if the pre-nup is voided.

But two parties can come to an agreement without lawyers. However, if they don't have advice and a court finds that one party was coerced or that the agreement is unconscionable, it is likely to set aside. The agreement can still be set aside with ILA, but it is just a harder argument to put forth.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X