This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start with FRO
    When my husband was paying he paid very faithfully, then the company he was with for 15 years closed, they sent a notice to FRO saying they were no longer an income source and within a week my husband got another job and called FRO to inform them of his new employer, address, phone etc. About 2 weeks later he gets a nasty theatening letter saying that he needs to abide by the order and send in money or notify them of his income source he has 10 days to do so. He calls and says that he already did, they check and say "oh yes we see it here now it takes some time to appear in the system" (which is a lie lol) becuse of the change of jobs and their screw up and the time it takes to set up a new employer he ended up 2 months in arrears, you would have thought he left the country they were so nasty (and he had paid faithfully for 10 years).
    Forward to 07 when his son came to live with us and it was HER turn to pay. They received the order in Oct 07, and proceeded to send a deduction order to my husbands work (they misread the order) so his employer was bound to take that off his cheque, well he fixed that and instead of sending the money back to him they sent it to HER and told him that he had to take her to small claims to get it back. Finally they got it right and realized the order was for HER to pay, they sent my husband a letter asking him to tell them where she was working, well we had no clue so told them that, they said well it will be difficult for us to enforce if we have no employer, so he asked about a federal garnishee, they said yes they could do that but they needed her SIN, he said look we have dealt with you for 10 years you have her SIN in our file to which he was told "oh sir thats a closed case we arent allowed to go into that file" so my husband sifted through the 1000s of court papers and found one with her SIN, gave it to them and a month later she had a federal garnishee. He called weekly to see what they were doing, all they did was send letters and call, she never answered either. Finally after his nagging they seized her bank acct (which was an old one with no money) and suspended her passport (she has no license). 2 years have gone by and finally on Feb 3 they took her to a default hearing, nothing happened and she did not file the financial statement as required by law, the lawyer for FRO said nothing. Through our own investigation we found out she and a friend had started a marketing business online, they have an address in the US making it look like an american company and are not paying taxes in either country, but we gave the business info to FRO and they sent the garnishee notice which her friend started to pay as he didnt want their illegal business dragged into court (he has recieved 3 payments total in 2 years) At the default hearing she informed the judge that she hasnt worked in 2 years, and was on EI (how can you be on EI if you havent worked in 2 years lol) anyhow on Jan 19 after receiving a letter from FRO saying they would fine them if they didnt receive a payment my husband recieved a payment from her "employer" and then on Jan 21 he received a payment from EI (from the federal garnishee) and they didnt think it was odd they were receiving both employer and EI payments at the same time but EI sure did I think that FRO treats women way differently, not many men would get away with not showing up for court 3 times, failing to disclose finances and employer and ignoring the FRO for 2 years. The default hearing was held over because she has filed to vary the support order to "wipe out all arrears and stop support" because she cant possibly pay now that its gotten way over $5000, shes a single person and has to live and support herself- thats exactly what she said in her motion to vary, it will be heard April 22.

Comment

Thank you Kelly for your reply and vote (really to everyone) FRO is definately biased to Women. But in fairness some of us do have our trials with them as well. I know I have. Part of our whole point is that it is time that reform happen. I am sure many agree. None of it should because ultimately its the kids who suffer in the end.

There is a purpose in mind with this but I invite any here to PM. I would like to hear your stories about FRO. For us this fight is not just about us there are plans in the works and our lawyer wants to know as well. We all know there are problems and it is time to speak out, so we invite your comment.

Comment

Think it time I post this again. I am inviting everyone to please read. PM me your comments here if you wish. Thank you to all.

Richard's space - Windows Live

Comment

Hoping more will vote. this is an important issue for us.

Comment

It is my understanding and I could be incorrect but is there not a new legislation that allows FRO to collect on other issues on a court order as well such as extra expenses, dental expense and so forth. My question really is.... do they have the authority to a collect on court costs that have been awarded to the sole custodian parent if there is a file for child support enforce with them as well?

Comment

What they mean is extra expenses such as FRO Administrators fees secretarial and other legal type fees. Other expenses such extra curicular sports, medical are all a part of the court order. If these are wanted/needed they should be decided in court and be part of the final order. If the are in the order then I guess they can collect for them. I would think especially medical. Now most company coverage for medical the agrement would be to keep the children on such that is paid directly by the holder and no FRO cannont double charge for those.

Comment

FMEP Ontario

My husband was contacted today by your FMEP Ontario. We are gainfully employed and would happily pay if we owed.
                Unfortunately, our children are all well into their 20’s, the child they think we owe for has children of her own. We are all residence of BC.
                My husband was the custodial parent of the one child from when she was 13 (here in BC). Before that all his support was paid through an Ontario court on time. We have a letter from 7 years ago confirming that he is not only custodial parent, but that we have a reciprocal order - which they’ve never enforced. At that point, it was confirmed, in writing, that his file was discharged as far as any amount he may have owed, due to the fac that he was custodial parent.

But they have, now, put a charge on his credit report for a child that is an adult, for support that is owed to us rather than owed by us.
                We want to know if Ontario has some sort of justice program, or do we just sue in BC court? If anyone knows of any advocacy programs, we would be grateful. Also, can we just sue the Ontario government in small claims court or do we have to go to BC supreme court (since everyone involved is in BC)?

Comment

Under the Family Law Act there are two things to consider here. 1. The court systen here has jurisdiction of this case as from what I see (your records and comments. Therefore it is bound legally to be hear here in Ontario. The second under the act Section 6 specifically the Ontario courts again are legally binded to uphold those orders, irregardless of the dates. Also there is consideration (in your favour that orders expire as with my spouses case)

As for groups etc there are many ie Father's for justice, etc etc. many have chapters in all provinces and several cities. I know they are in BC. As for us as we progress with our fight it has been one of our goals to bring together people like ourselves that are hving these specific problems. Please PM message me thru here as would like to discuss your situation in more length.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

My poll will be closing in a couple of days. I would like for any of the remaining people here to vote if you are interested. We are trying to find if our calculations are close to being correct. so please while there is still time please do so. Thanks to all who have or will vote.

Comment

to say FRO makes a payor feel like a useless piece of garbage is an understatement. Condescending passiver aggressive languge when they call, and when you need information, thye do not answer nor return your calls. 10K in legal fees later [purely to fight FRO and get a simple change of income completed because of a confrontational foot dragging ex] i have a crdit rating that has plumetted 100 pts and arrears they STILL have not cleared [going on 2 months].
                      This office should be dismantled and shut down and covered under new legislation where they are accountable for their actions and the repurcussions they create - only then will they clean up their act.

Comment

These are all the issues that we are fighting for and we are still doing so. We need others to speak out to us as well. Our laywer feels there are some 25,000 cases that he would like to see reopened over such issues. Your concerns are much like ours and we will be asking that they be addressed. There is so much wrong with the system. We cant deny the need for such a system BUT a clean up is in order.

We have not been very active on this site in recent months as we have had to become cautious in what we say and do because of the actions of others but rest assured that this has not gone away.

Comment

FRO is the most politically charged dishonest government money machine on the planet. I have no use for them..and yes I pay child support on time.

Comment

Like your self most do pay there support. It is the way it is administered that is the problem.

Comment

Ex refusing to pay both spousal and child

Hello all
                              My daughter is 16 and has chosen to live in Sarnia with her dad, g/f, house, dog and picket fence. (yah). The financial advisor that he is, left
                              me in an apartment and living off $1,200/mth. Somehow this man has
                              FRO thinking I don't need spousal until the forms come through the mail
                              to cut off the child support.

This mentality of hardship is unacceptable, and my hydro could be cut off.

Funny how he cannot withhold child support, if my daughter doesn't want to see h im, yet somehow he got FRO to stop even my support.

I am boarder elligible for Legal Aid, and this is the type of guy that talks slick and wouldn't want to be alone in court with him without support.

Comment

Mishandled

That's an understatement. Yes

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X