This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring Property

My separation agreement is signed! It only took a year and a half, for a very cooperative separation. Bleh. But now I can move forward on some long outstanding issues.

I get the matrimonial home (and the mortgage) but my lawyer is telling me that now we each need a real estate lawyer to do the job of changing the title from both our names to just mine, at who knows what cost. It seems like such a simple matter, but when I phoned the land registry office to see if I could just bring in the agreement and get them to do it for whatever fee, they said that new deeds were done electronically and that lawyers had the software necessary. Say what?? Is there no way to do this ourselves?

And what's the generally accepted order of things? Do I get my ex off the title first, or the mortgage? The bank says they only need to see the agreement and then they can do a 'release,' which sounds a lot easier than all this title/deed stuff, but I'm not sure I should do it first.

Hi Rioe

The bank can "release" your ex from the mortgage, but you have to be apporoved in your own right to hold the mortgage on your own. If that is no problem, then I don't even think your ex needs to sign any thing at the bank, just you.

For the Deed - you only need one lawyer, and they can prepare all the documents for you. It cost me about $850.00 to do that. You need to go in and sign all the paperwork and your ex needs to go to the lawyer and sign all the paperwork.

Then...... six months later, you get a big whopping envelope in the mail, with what..... more paperwork! hahaha Your own deed - and your own debt

I don't know if you can do it yourself anymore. There were forms to fill out and it is not a straight registration of a deed or a change of name on a deed, because of the marital breakdown and there are no land transfer taxes on the transaction, it is different than just a straight sale/purchase

Comment

Cost me $350. Shop around for prices of lawyers!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X