This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threats Started

Well it's starting, the accusations and threats.

My gf (2 year living together) left in october, 1 month now. She calls me asking not to cancel benefits from my plan at work, told her I wouldnt. Called me the other day asking again, saying she can take me to court bc she can't claim ODSP bc of her ex husbands child support.

Says she loves me, misses me and wants to talk sometime. So I called.

Where she is living the neighbour says blah blah blah. She can take half the house or buy you out, claim spousal support and child support. She is permanently disabled, doesnt not work. Only gets child support from FRO and her CPP and CT benefits.

She calls my answering machine everyday 3 and 4 times a day. I leave her messages to tell my progress with what I am going through. I still love her very much and appologize for all that I have done. Neighbour is saying she is speaking for her, saying don't say you love her on your machine.

Could they be buying time for court papers? Any men or women here gone through the same thing?

I changed the password from answering machine, she cant listen anymore. Changed the locks to the house, they come in when I am not here all the time. She isnt on mortgage or deed, just the assestment for the school taxes.

Neighbour claims bc I accepted her and her kids into my home as a common law family we are married and she is entitled to 1/2 of all.

Does she have any claims? House is in my name.

I posted questions before, got the answer I am okay and she has no claims.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f11/curious-lots-questions-3489/

I read your previous post. The reply to it is very clear and factual. You have nothing to worry about. Stop listening to your neighbours, this is a better source. Also read other sources on line and you will educate yourself so that when your ex or others tell you crap you can be confident of your rights. You did not live together long enough for her to expect anything, especially for a child that is not yours, and her demanding shows a lack of respect for both herself and you. Sounds like you helped her financially for 2 years - and now she expects you to continue despite her dumping you, and on top of that she threatens you with court - wow. There is nothing wrong with wanting to help her out of course, just that it should be reasonable, be time limited, and totally up to you - not an expectation. You can let her know that if she does manage to get this to court it will just be a waste of her money.

As a side note, even if you were together long enough to be legal CL, she would hardley get anything anyway since duration is a main deciding factor. Its not as if the day you become officially common law you are tied financially together forever (you have to be together for a long time before that happens).

Comment

Thanks Bill

Its not my ex who is saying it, it was the neighbour who has kindly taken my ex and her kids into her home. The neighbour is under the impression she can do this and that.

The one kind thing I did for my ex, is I didnt cancel her medicaal insurance from my work, it cost me $200 a month but saves her almost $8000 a year. She isnt complaining about, and even with 800 for CS give or take she is still on top.

Maybe there is a chance for her and I to get back, not much atm.

Comment

It doesn't matter whether the ex or the neigbour said it, the point was there is no merit to it.

The way you're talking, it sounds like you might want to get back with her. As difficult as things are for you now, you should still try very hard to separate the family law implications from the emotion. I fear you are being emotionally blackmailed.

Comment

ty again guys

I am just so confused what I want, don't know what she wants. I am sure everyone in here has gone through the same ups and downs. Glad I found this place, got great answers.

thanks

Comment

I agree 100% that she has no merit to claim SS, or CS, or any asset splitting what so ever.
            The short duration of cohabitation does not warrant the same.
            She is indeed trying to emotionally blackmail you into agreeing to something she is not otherwise entitled if she were to take the issue to court.
            She would have had to be CL for a minimum of 3 years.
            She trying to scare you into agreeing, step back take hold of your emotions and take a hard look at where it is coming from and why?

Then take a deep breathe and understand this, she has not grounds for her claims and the courts will not grant her anything for those reasons.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X