Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay... I'm am filing for a reassessment, etc. We already had an agreement and after 4 years of court over $$, the agreement was made into an order... so there was an existing right (i.e support established) and then a court order to confirm what was already established. Nothing changed support-wise, except I was out 30K.

Do you have to provide a receipt from the lawyer? And since I had a custody and access battle intertwinded into support battle, how do you separate out the two deductions?

Thanks !!!!

Comment

what if your income goes down and you have been overpaying.
      does the payor get money back! I think not
      I am a women and can feel for the men (payor) with this issue .
      what if you lose your job. what if your income goes up half
      way thru the year.
      what a mess, if it were me I would just keep things
      the way they are for my ex unless he gets a huge raise ,
      and now and days who gets that
      interesting to see what happens

Comment

I filed electronically, and no receipts were required...unless I get reassessed and they ask for them. What I have done is have a spreadsheet of the breakdown available anytime.

I have claimed roughly $3-6,000 every year on income of 80k, with no problems.

As for overpaying, I am going to go to court to get the overpayments back. I would have to pay more if I made more, so she can pay me back if I made less. With my case it may be easier for me, since I can prove that part of my compensation is variable in the first place, and change the order accordingly. The order assumes a constant income of $87k, with no variability allowed in the calculations.

Wish me luck, I will keep you posted as to how I make out.
        G

Comment

One other thing about the intertwined costs...CRA accepts all REASONABLE claims...so if you don't have a breakout of costs, then err on the conservative side. A conservative deduction is better than no deduction.

G

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X