This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law in Alberta

I just received a statement of claim from my ex-girlfriend a quick background is:
    - we met in 1987 dating off and on (break ups all the time)
    - she moved into my house in Oct 2000 (her Dad had a stroke and couldn't visit her at her basement suite and that was the main reason for moving in
    - first few years were ok we basically lived separate lives as I lived downstairs probably 80% of the time.
    - she left in the middle of 04 and lived at her brothers (she was seeing someone)
    - she came back 3 - 6 months later (as far as I can remember)
    - I ended it in Aug 06 and left for good Dec 07
    - I have always paid for everything utilities, mortgage, taxes (house in my name only I have owned it since 93
    - I have continued to pay all of the bills after I left even her phone, cable, utilities (she doesn't pay anything)
    - we have no kids and she has always worked full time I started a business in 03 that is doing fairly well and I have several investments that have also done quite well (everything is in my name) we never even had a joint account never claimed taxes as common law or have been on each others benefits she even has tenant insurance?

My question is where do I stand legally? She is claiming quantum meruit which is crazy as I did my own laundry, cooking, house repairs etc the only thing she might have done for me is clean the dishes as she didn't like them when I did them?

From everything I read is she has to prove that she was part of the investments or the business that she helped me by doing them which is totally false.
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X